Mill vise cut ball bearing for the sliding jaw ?

Chipper5783

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sloth2009 did a great job showing us his "screwy ball".

Been busy for a few weeks and haven't done much milling. Today I made a "screwy ball" out of a 1" ball bearing. I saw a few videos online where people used them to help hold non-square workpieces up against the fixed jaw. I just got this little machinist vise and used it and some nuts for the setup. I ground a flat in the ball with my belt sander to save some time and then made some passes with my carbide face mill. It turned out pretty nice.
View attachment 238696 View attachment 238697 View attachment 238698 View attachment 238699 View attachment 238700

That got me thinking about what size ball to use. I suppose one would use what ever size they can track down. Obviously it shouldn't be too small. Is bigger better?

I came across a 6" ball (from a ball valve) that could be cut to provide a larger radius push pad (though not as hard as the ball bearing). Would it be worth the effort? Would it work any better?

DSCF8572.JPG

Looks kind large for everyday use I ground a flat on ball from a 4 bearing seems be about the right size for most situations.
I have balls from bearings 1/2" and 3/4"

Back