Mill Spindle Noise

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have an older Grizzly G1004. When I'm running a larger end mill or a fly cutter it makes a horendous racket.
I'm concerned the neighbors will complain of noise it is that bad. It gets worse with DOC but I'm barely taking much of a cut. I don't think this is normal but maybe it is with these mills. I'm thinking about taking the spindle apart and cleaning and inspecting for worn parts and what not.
Does anyone have any experience with these or offer advice on this?
Thanks in advance.

Is it a mechanical variable speed drive? If so they tend to make an awful racket when failing,

No it is not mechanical variable speed. Pulley positions are the way to change speed.
R8 taper.

It sounds like the quill bearings may be in need of attention, if I had to guess. I looked at the manual for your machine and they call for repacking the quill bearings annually. If that hasn't been done they will wear and eventually require replacement. Try checking the run out at the spindle taper. If it is running in the thousandths then you very likely have a bearing issue.

Thanks,
I will check.
Also, didn't I see some videos of guys replacing their drawbars with a larger diameter one, specifically on Grizzly's? I'll have to do some searching on that.

Back