Mill Spindle Lube Blockage?

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am new to this site and I have enjoyed what I have read so far. I also notice some familiar names from the old Alt.recreational crafts.metalworking news group. So there is obviously some knowledge and experience hanging about.

I have a new to me Taiwan Bridgeport clone (Astro mill). It sat in a shed with the head inverted for a couple of years. After a major clean up, the mill has been running fine for about 6 months and still is.

It has a one-shot lube system for the ways, etc. It has a small oil cup for the spindle and I have noticed that it has never needed any additional oil for the spindle. This worries me. The manual is worthless. It shows all the lube points but doesn't even say what lube to use. I have been using way oil in the one-shot system and spindle oil in the spindle, which I presume is correct. I have pulled some of the oil out of the spindle and it seems much more viscus than the spindle oil I have been trying putting in. Any thought on what might be causing this? It is sure not coming from the one-shot.

I just thought I'd ask before starting to disassemble the head 8^(

Randy

Back