1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Mill Rite On Portland OR CL

Discussion in 'BURKE-US MACHINE TOOL & BARKER MACHINES' started by Nogoingback, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Nogoingback

Nogoingback United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Vancouver
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

2. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Eastpointe
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

Nice, it has coolant too!

3. Mikebr5

Mikebr5 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Battle Ground
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

This is in my area... I am new again (after a few decades) to milling machines. Is there something special about Mill Rite? I saw it and thought "looks small"... It's a weakness in my thinking that I clearly recognize- bigger is not always better, but I still drool over the machines that require two machines working in harmony to budge.

4. texanjohn

texanjohn United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Kennett Square
    State:
    Pennsylvania

-Return to Top-

That's a nice looking machine, Millrites are often sought after for space reasons, not a Bridgeport but it will more then likely do anything the owner ask of it, slower then the big ones but still a treat, I won't part with mine!

5. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Look up other tools that Burke has made, they are all winners.

6. markba633csi

markba633csi United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Looks like that one has a (factory?) riser on it- desirable option for sure. I wouldn't mind an MV1 at all. Cute little machine.
    Mark

7. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

I'd Ck it out with money in my pocket. Condition in picture looks to be excellent. The added riser adds a bit to value , the power feed and coolant more. If it's not tight on the ends of travel I'd own it if I were in need of a mill. Even at the list but I bet $1,250 would buy it.

8. ErichKeane

ErichKeane United States Iron Registered Member

City:
    Hillsboro
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Hi all, new here!
    I actually ended up with this mill! So far it is a pretty fantastic machine. I dialed inside the spindle about 3/10,000 runout, so it seems really accurate! The owner threw in a chain hoist and a 6" mill he claims is a Kurt. I ended up paying $1300. Also, we discovered when we got there that it is actually a 8x36" table, not the 7x27!

However, the power-feed is non-functional. There are some electrical issues in the power feed that I'll have to mess with when I get a chance. The wires are all brittle, and even the limit switches inside are seemingly non-functional.

The coolant motor doesn't seem to work, though I have no idea what is wrong with it. I don't even see a power outlet for it, so I'll need to figure that out eventually! At the moment, drill oil fis sufficient for what I'm doing.

It took all day to get it out of my truck and in place in my garage, then a VFD ordered and wired up took another week, but she cuts metal! Currently only have cheap mills and collets, so the runout is disappointing (about 3 tho), but I have good tooling and at least 1 Hardinge R8 Collet coming.

Nogoingback and woodtickgreg like this.
  9. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

Welcome Erich, lots of us are in envy of your acquisition. While I have no room in my shop, I'd dearly love to have one similar, warts (problems) and all. It's probably at least the equal to any other make of similar machine.

10. ErichKeane

City:
    Hillsboro
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting something done on this. My research showed how good these mills are (in part this thread!), and at $1300 for a solid mill, I thought it was a steal! I'm always amazed at what some of the smaller Bridgeports around here go for, so finding this guy for an affordable amount was a really great surprise.

11. Silverbullet

Silverbullet Active Member Active Member

City:
    Marlton
    State:
    New Jersey

-Return to Top-

Hi ER , welcome and good luck with your mill. Take your time clean and replace the motors and wiring. Be careful with the windings to not scratch any of the varnish off them. I would guess the may need switches and cords even a capacitor or two. Nice to have a nice mill like that have fun and please be safe.

ErichKeane likes this.
  12. markba633csi

markba633csi United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

I knew that was a good deal, should be fun to run! Are you keeping the oil pan and pump? It does limit your vertical travel a little bit I think.
    Mark S.

13. ErichKeane

City:
    Hillsboro
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Its been fun already! I'm not sure about the pan/pump. I've already found the pan to be convienient, but the pump doesn't seem to have a plug so it'll need me to figure stuff out first :)

The limit in the Z axis has notn bothered me yet to be honest, I've been doing small stuff so far.

14. Glenn Brooks

Glenn Brooks H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Woodinville
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Oh wait! No pictures? Must have pictures. You knowthe rule - No Pictures - didn't happen!

Sounds like you have a nice addition to your shop. I bought a little Burke #4 last year. Always have fun with it in horizontal mode. They sure made nice machines.

Glenn

15. ErichKeane

City:
    Hillsboro
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Of course! It took a weekend to get it setup, and another week to get a bit of tooling, but it is seemingly ready for work! My buddy has a bunch of steel type projects in mind, I've got a few aluminium, so hopefully she'll stay busy for a while.

Attached Files:

rdean, Nogoingback and bss1 like this.
  16. Mikebr5

Mikebr5 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Battle Ground
    State:
    Washington

-Return to Top-

Howdy Erich! I am glad to see that mill end up with you, because now we get to see how you go about putting it to use! I considered it because of how much it seemed to be liked by the experienced gentlemen on here.