• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Mill Rite On Portland OR CL

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Mikebr5

This is in my area... I am new again (after a few decades) to milling machines. Is there something special about Mill Rite? I saw it and thought "looks small"... It's a weakness in my thinking that I clearly recognize- bigger is not always better, but I still drool over the machines that require two machines working in harmony to budge.

texanjohn

Iron
Registered Member
That's a nice looking machine, Millrites are often sought after for space reasons, not a Bridgeport but it will more then likely do anything the owner ask of it, slower then the big ones but still a treat, I won't part with mine!

markba633csi

Looks like that one has a (factory?) riser on it- desirable option for sure. I wouldn't mind an MV1 at all. Cute little machine.
Mark

Silverbullet

I'd Ck it out with money in my pocket. Condition in picture looks to be excellent. The added riser adds a bit to value , the power feed and coolant more. If it's not tight on the ends of travel I'd own it if I were in need of a mill. Even at the list but I bet $1,250 would buy it.

ErichKeane

Iron
Registered Member
Hi all, new here!
I actually ended up with this mill! So far it is a pretty fantastic machine. I dialed inside the spindle about 3/10,000 runout, so it seems really accurate! The owner threw in a chain hoist and a 6" mill he claims is a Kurt. I ended up paying $1300. Also, we discovered when we got there that it is actually a 8x36" table, not the 7x27!

However, the power-feed is non-functional. There are some electrical issues in the power feed that I'll have to mess with when I get a chance. The wires are all brittle, and even the limit switches inside are seemingly non-functional.

The coolant motor doesn't seem to work, though I have no idea what is wrong with it. I don't even see a power outlet for it, so I'll need to figure that out eventually! At the moment, drill oil fis sufficient for what I'm doing.

It took all day to get it out of my truck and in place in my garage, then a VFD ordered and wired up took another week, but she cuts metal! Currently only have cheap mills and collets, so the runout is disappointing (about 3 tho), but I have good tooling and at least 1 Hardinge R8 Collet coming.

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Welcome Erich, lots of us are in envy of your acquisition. While I have no room in my shop, I'd dearly love to have one similar, warts (problems) and all. It's probably at least the equal to any other make of similar machine.

ErichKeane

Iron
Registered Member
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting something done on this. My research showed how good these mills are (in part this thread!), and at $1300 for a solid mill, I thought it was a steal! I'm always amazed at what some of the smaller Bridgeports around here go for, so finding this guy for an affordable amount was a really great surprise.

Silverbullet

Hi ER , welcome and good luck with your mill. Take your time clean and replace the motors and wiring. Be careful with the windings to not scratch any of the varnish off them. I would guess the may need switches and cords even a capacitor or two. Nice to have a nice mill like that have fun and please be safe.

markba633csi

I knew that was a good deal, should be fun to run! Are you keeping the oil pan and pump? It does limit your vertical travel a little bit I think.
Mark S.

ErichKeane

Iron
Registered Member
I knew that was a good deal, should be fun to run! Are you keeping the oil pan and pump? It does limit your vertical travel a little bit I think.
Mark S.
Its been fun already! I'm not sure about the pan/pump. I've already found the pan to be convienient, but the pump doesn't seem to have a plug so it'll need me to figure stuff out first :)

The limit in the Z axis has notn bothered me yet to be honest, I've been doing small stuff so far.

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Oh wait! No pictures? Must have pictures. You knowthe rule - No Pictures - didn't happen!

Sounds like you have a nice addition to your shop. I bought a little Burke #4 last year. Always have fun with it in horizontal mode. They sure made nice machines.

Glenn

ErichKeane

Iron
Registered Member
Of course! It took a weekend to get it setup, and another week to get a bit of tooling, but it is seemingly ready for work! My buddy has a bunch of steel type projects in mind, I've got a few aluminium, so hopefully she'll stay busy for a while.

Attachments

Mikebr5

Howdy Erich! I am glad to see that mill end up with you, because now we get to see how you go about putting it to use! I considered it because of how much it seemed to be liked by the experienced gentlemen on here.

ErichKeane

Iron
Registered Member
So, after a few small projects (made a top-clamp vice-stop, a bottle opener from an employer 'gift', and a speed-vice-handle), I discovered I have a 2 thou TIR in the spindle! I took the spindle out yesterday and discovered that the taper bearings at the base of the spindle are actually wheel-bearing quality, not the 'class 3' that Burke specifies, so I get to do that next!

Slowly but surely figuring out how to use this guy though! My projects are slow going, pretty simple looking, and with a number of mistakes/redos, but its been fun so far!

richl

Active User
It will be worth it Eric, as long as the rest of her is tight. The old heavy ones are fun to play around with:p:encourage:

Have fun with her.
Rich

[6]
5 [7]