Mill Quill stop that just bolts on... no disassembly required

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
This was an interesting and somewhat challenging project to build a quill stop. I didn't like the clothes pin type
much and the push button ones are very expensive leaving me to build my own. It consists of small parts
which need to be fitted to make the stop work properly. I used a small diamond file to smooth off the edges of
the parts so there was a smooth movement. Not wanting to disassemble and remove the threaded part on
the mill, I decided to build a stop that simply bolts on to the existing half inch threaded quill rod. Removing
the quill bolt looked like more than I wanted to get into so devised my own design. It works very well and
I can't wait to try it out on a new project. It will be handy for me because I have a two axis DRO and a
quill mounted digital scale that I use a lot. The thread part was made from some cold roll steel and the
housing part from some 6061 aluminum stock. I have included two photos one showing all the parts
in a disassembled fashion and another with the quill stop assembled and mounted and ready to go to work.View media item 95955View media item 95956

Nice quill stop! Too bad my PM-727 doesn't have provisions for one ( future project ) Good thinking on the no disassembly required design.

Back