mill questions

Hi all, there's a nut and 2 screws on the column that I tightened and that seemed to do the trick.

Possible 2nd problem:

I put my finger inside the tapered quill and it seems a bit rough. I'm thinking in the past, something like a collet or drill was spinning and may have caused some damage, but seems to be working fine. Anyone else come across that? Is there anything I should be concerned about with that.

Burrs are not good as they prevent the taper seating properly. Have you got a good male taper? It would need to be open end that you can blue and check the contact. If there are slight burrs you may be able to remove them with a 1/2 round scraper.

Thanks. is a 1/2 round scraper same as a 1/2" round file? I've got one.

I'm at a loss. I did extensive searches for 1/2 round scrapper but what came up is wood turning tool. Might that be the one?

1/2 round scraper same in cross section as a 1/2 round file yes. working area of blade is fairly short and has a slight bend in the end to allow scraping a particular spot. I'll take a photo of one today and post tonight. Keep your eyes open for secondhand scrapers as many people don't know what they are and they can be picked up cheap or even free and often are the best or only tool to do a job. If you work on machinery you can't do without them.

Here's a couple of pics of scrapers that could be used. A finish reamer would be better if you can lay hands on one. Reguardless I would have a good look with a torch and check with an arbor and blue before doing anything.
Sorry for the crap quality. 1st photo top is 1/2 round, bottom 3-square. Either can be used.

HPIM0182.JPG

HPIM0184.JPG

Back