[Newbie] Mill, is this too little to hold onto?

awaqa909

Registered
Registered
This part is normally .122-.125" thick on the area the jaws grip, for the 2nd side. The jaws are normally aluminum. I'm trying to figure out if it can be done on hard jaws and parallels that would leave 0.0625" to be grabbed by the jaws. Lets say the part is 1.5" X 1" Y less than .5" Z brass material. This part gets flycut and maybe a 5/16" end mill, center drill, .120" drill, maybe a chamfer tool. I assume everything on this side would have to be slowed down. But is it too little?

Thanks,
Awaqa909

Hi Awaqa909,
if you have a piece of metal material that can be drilled or bored to the od and near depth of the part,
use a drop of super glue on the od of the part and put it back in the bore of the holder and then drill, mill, fly cut as desired
heat up the metal holder with a propane torch and remove the part

A lot depends on your vise. If it's a study, quality vise and the jaws stay parallel, and you take light cuts, you might be OK. I should have written VERY light cuts.

Are you talking manual mill or CNC?
IIRC, the vise jaw grippers that I've seen grip .125" and they bite into the stock.

Edit: Here's a link to TalonGrip who advertises .060 hold.
http://www.talongripsystems.com/

Last edited:
For really thin parts or hard to hold parts I use a set of soft jaws. I mill a little pocket in them then put part in and clamp
I use soft jaws a lot for small parts here is a video of a set in use skip to around 6:40 in video

Its a cnc mill. It's for work and I'm trying to teach myself G code. It's for a part we run a few times a year and I was thinking it could be done faster/better (multi parts from single block) and teach myself a little bit of G code to climb the chain a bit. I guess I will have to find some soft jaws for the 2nd side or ask for new ones. Those talon grips look like they could work very well, if the part is supported properly. But I'm not looking to spend my own dime for work stuff and don't think I could easily convince the bosses. Next, I need to figure out what size endmill I can use to cut out the pieces.

Back