Mill Hunting

rdsii64

Registered
Registered
My current mill is your typical X2 clone equipped with an air spring. It runs just fine and does everything as well as its supposed to. In fact I would attribute my less than perfect results starting out to my rudimentary skill set before faulting the milling machine. But just like motorcycles, when you start small, you soon want a bigger one. Well I now want a bigger mill and keep my X2 clone as a support machine/drill press. I can afford to take my time to look because I don't really NEED bigger mill, I just want one.

Now comes the hard part. I have found all kinds of mills in the size I'm looking for. The problem is every X3 sized mill I have been able to find regardless of price or manufacture have two things in common and I hate them both. One is a tilting head and the other is plastic gears. The question is doses anyone make a x3 sized mill that DOES NOT TILT. I can order a belt drive conversion to solve the plastic gears if I have to but I don't really want to take the head apart to install it. I would rather buy a belt driven mill from the start if I can find one.

thanks in advance

The PM-25MV by Precision Mathews come with a belt drive and the three bolt modification standard. The three bolt mod locks the head down pretty well. I have had no issues with the head moving on my machine. I believe that this machine is similar in size to the X3. Grizzly has the G0704 but it has plastic gears and only one bolt securing the head.

I just looked at that one. That may be just what the doctor ordered. Its not over priced either.
The PM-25MV by Precision Mathews come with a belt drive and the three bolt modification standard. The three bolt mod locks the head down pretty well. I have had no issues with the head moving on my machine. I believe that this machine is similar in size to the X3. Grizzly has the G0704 but it has plastic gears and only one bolt securing the head.

Back