Mill Head Type Question

barkoguru

Registered
Registered
On this Index mill I haven't been able to find another with this type head on it, it looks like a drill press, no fine feed that I can see, the guy knows nothing about it at all or machinery in general for that matter, it runs and that's all he knows, so has anyone seen a head like it? Is it a mill or just a drill ? Thanks in advance.01010_fKRDeOLdOFE_600x450.jpg

I was looking a an index mill, an old one and I gave index a call, I believe they are still in business, they were even going to turn the spindle from som B&S to R8.

It's a mill, not a drill press. You can use the knee for fine elevation adjustments.

Just curious, I've searched but haven't seen that particular type head, no nod, no ram to move the head in and out, and from the looks no back gear .

In the past when manufacturers had hundreds of manual machines in their shops, if they had a part that they were making thousands of per year on dedicated machines why would would they spend more on features that will NEVER be used such a tilt, nod and a head ram? This would be wildly more expensive then a machine made for your particular application.

Wreck is probably correct that this is a special purpose mill. Looks like a Model 747 below the head to the floor. And just a very plain head with step pulleys on the head with no feed on the head. Reminds me of the Millrite mill we had when I was in my early teens.
Can't beat a Index mill! I have the older 645 model in my shop and does a very nice job on mill work.

After a lot of searching I figured it was a model 747 best I could tell, I just wasn't sure about the head lacking all those features, but if you don't need them why pay for them I can surely understand, I had seen this machine advertised a while back and it was way too high I thought and forgot about it and I guess the guy didn't have any luck and he offered it to me for a grand, May be worth looking at, but I bet it's pushing 2k lbs which would be a load in my wood frame shed/shop floor.

If there was one feature I would get rid of on my knee mill, it would be the nod, which keeps the rotation 90 left and right, but the increase in rigidity for my cnc use would be tenfold. My friends prototrak knee mill is setup like that

Back