Micrometer set

I just brought a set of the HF ones. They work fine and only to 0.001" but the two references 1" and 2" are off by + 0.002" when mic by better one.

I need a set of micrometers, 1", 2", 3".
Have digital micrometers caught up with old school micrometers in accuracy? I am 100% skilled at reading a micrometer so don't go there. Equally priced I would prefer the digital if they are up to the job. Anyone have experance with digital?

See the Starrett catalog on the accuracy of their electronic measuring devices compared to the dial ones. I was surprised that the dial ones were more accurate than the digital ones. But I do have some HF digital ones that seem to be accurate -- I hate when they run out of batteries and accuracy may be affected by the battery condition.

I need a set of micrometers, 1", 2", 3".
Have digital micrometers caught up with old school micrometers in accuracy? I am 100% skilled at reading a micrometer so don't go there. Equally priced I would prefer the digital if they are up to the job. Anyone have experance with digital?

I have 0-1" & 1-2" Mitutoyo digital Quantumikes. I love them, they are very accurate, & the batteries last a long time. Equally priced as vernier mics, nope no way, good quality digitals will cost more. I personally only trust Mitutoyo for digitals. I only have/wanted digital mics in those 2 sizes though. Only downside is they are bulkier & heavier than verniers. All my other mics are vernier.

You can get a nice, starrett or mitutoyo, set from Ebay if your patient . I got 0 to 3 Inch set brand new for less than half list price because the box had some of the stain worn off.

The best value I've found in USA-made micrometers is from Scherr-Tumico. They sold on big government contracts, so complete sets of their mics can be bought on eBay in unused condition for the price of a china import. I have the Tumicos in 0"-12". I also have Tumico depth mics in the same range. They are, in my opinion, comparable to B&S, Starrett, and Mitutoyo. Okay, the finish on the Mitutoyos is sublime, but it's the barrels and anvils that count.

The best value I've found in USA-made micrometers is from Scherr-Tumico. They sold on big government contracts, so complete sets of their mics can be bought on eBay in unused condition for the price of a china import. I have the Tumicos in 0"-12". I also have Tumico depth mics in the same range. They are, in my opinion, comparable to B&S, Starrett, and Mitutoyo. Okay, the finish on the Mitutoyos is sublime, but it's the barrels and anvils that count.

I wanted a set of 0-6" Mitutoyos but couldn't afford even used sets on ebay at the time. I was almost about to buy a set of 0-6" mics from HF to get me by even though I that's something I would not do. Glad I didn't, I ended finding a set of 0-6" Accupros brand new in case for $200 shipped. They are made by Scherr-Tumico. As you said, not as nice looking as the bigger names but I'm happy with them & haven't bothered searching for the set of Mitus again. I bought a Craftsman 0-1" mic a while back cause it was cheap, also made by Scherr-Tumico.

e9f8f722505d423b85fa9bc0f3373045.jpg
Here is a set of 5” to 11” Brown and Sharp I just purchased recently at a pawnshop for$275

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back