Micrometer set

prasad

Active User
Registered
I was wondering if Santa would bring me a micrometer set. There are two on my mind. One is a 0" - 6" inch set by Shars available on ebay for $98 plus shipping. Second is a 0" - 3" set at HarborFreight available for $39.99 less 25% discount coupon.

Are these any good?

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

Buy the 0-6 and call it a day brother. The HF likely work fine, but I would rather have the 4,5,6 as well

You did not say what you need them for? If it’s just for general hobby shop metrology? I would instead get a well-made 6” dial/digital caliper. And a well-made 0-1 mike…Good Luck, Dave.

I have a set of 0 to 4 Chinese mics I bought on eBay for $39 and they work well and are pretty accurate. For hobby use the cheaper ones are pretty good. If you work in a ISO certified shop, then yes you should spring the extra bucks for Starrett or other top shelf mics.

Mark Frazier

I have the HF 3 pc mic set, nice but only read in .001. I use China 0-6 mics at work (FAA repair station) calibrated, read in .0001. Either set will work fine in a home shop, it all depends on your needs I wish I had gotten the 0-6 set in the first place.

(I took the HF mics to work and they were acurate on our certified jo blocks)

I was at a tool outlet long ago that had several of those 3-piece sets. Fiddling thru some of those sets revealed variations in the smoothness/friction/grittiness/click-resistance of the friction thumbwheels. I carefully disassembled and cleaned the internals of my set. Seems that chinese grit is included as standard in some of these imports. Just something to think on...

I bought a nice 1-5" .0001" set of newer Mitutoyo mics with tools and standards, satin chrome finish, in excellent condition for $50 at a yard sale. If you are not in a hurry it might be worth looking around for a used set. Buying a smaller smaller import set, or just a cheap 0-1" mic and a caliper might get you by until you find the right used set at the right price...

I need a set of micrometers, 1", 2", 3".
Have digital micrometers caught up with old school micrometers in accuracy? I am 100% skilled at reading a micrometer so don't go there. Equally priced I would prefer the digital if they are up to the job. Anyone have experance with digital?

In my opinion The problem with digital is when you want to use them the battery is always dead. Others you dont have to worry about battery.

I have a mix and match set of 0-6" import mic's along with a 0-1 and 1-2" Mitutoyo digital absolute. I'd recommend the set from Shars as I feel their quality is a bit better and make sure to get ones that read in tenths. You might not need it now, but it is helpful down the road. I am assuming you have a quality pair of 6" calipers already.

Back