Micro-mark 7x16 lathe bearing upgrade

Arc Eurotrade (usual disclaimers) offer a pictorial guide to changing the bearings
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/machineguides/C3 Mini-Lathe Dismantling and Reassembly Guide.pdf

Wow I don't even have one of these and I read the whole rebuild site that Dunc1 posted! Hah hah

Hey Lawrence- did you upgrade any of the other parts of your machine, like the saddle, or compound? I would be curious to see how one of your machines would feel after upgrading like this.

I think this is also a good illustration of why precision machines cost what they do. I know the original parts can be made a little better in the first place, but all the "hand fitting" takes time and care.

What a great page! I have to look for a similar Atlas 618/Craftsman page!

Bernie

Wow I don't even have one of these and I read the whole rebuild site that Dunc1 posted! Hah hah

Hey Lawrence- did you upgrade any of the other parts of your machine, like the saddle, or compound? I would be curious to see how one of your machines would feel after upgrading like this.

I think this is also a good illustration of why precision machines cost what they do. I know the original parts can be made a little better in the first place, but all the "hand fitting" takes time and care.

What a great page! I have to look for a similar Atlas 618/Craftsman page!

Bernie

I made use of a longer cross screw and milled out the cross base for more travel...lots more travel...actually more travel then you can turn diam wise......

tailstock has been modified I removed the cam lock... what a joke.......camlock mech work in much bigger lathes they don't work good(enough clamping force) for these...I also added a much larger hand wheel and made a better T-nut..... now when you clamp the damn tailstock down it stays right where you clamp it!!

I will say this ...when you do the taper roller bearing upgrade and go through and red locktite all the set screws and gibs etc...everything will stay good and tight no more chatter issues
and you wont have to re-adjust everything for a awhile....

hope this helps

Lawrence

Hi,
How did you reduce the thickness of the spacers? Can you do it without access to a second lathe?
Thanks,
Mark

Hi,
How did you reduce the thickness of the spacers? Can you do it without access to a second lathe?
Thanks,
Mark

Hello ...I have been in hiding for awhile cleaning up the shop and finishing my machining projects...

Right so..yes you can reduce these plastic spacers without a lathe its not a critical part per say just takes up some space....If i can remember correctly take off .100 or there about...should do the trick..

Please remember this is not a fix all for these little machines everything works in tandem so if its not adjusted correctly gibs etc.. you may not see how much better this machine can be....

ok so been using the lathe this way for several months..... its a huge improvement its so huge that micromark should offer this as an inexpensive upgrade , hell I would have paid an extra 50 bucks for this....

the other thing i wanted to mention about my personal micromark is the chuck is the best chuck I have ever seen...... its repeatability is .0015 every time! I am surprised no one else has reported this ...

remember....... have some fun relax....... it will and can take a few years before you get the hang of our fun hobby :)

Lawrence

Back