Mfb Question

Deadbolt47A

Registered
Registered
I'm in the process of getting my little mill up and running. I am having a bit of trouble figuring something out and thought I'd ask here. First off the spindle bearings feel great, and the set screws are all set present and snug on the big gear with the pin in the in position. The spindle has no noticeable lateral movement.

However. There is some lateral movement with the pulleys and the small rear gear on the spindle shaft. If i push sideways, the pulleys and small gear move approximately 1/16 of an inch to the back of the machine until they hit the collar that is sitting against the bearing.

I dont think this is normal but want to make sure. Is the correct fix to loosen the set screws on the collar and push it against the gear and pulley assembly and re tighten, or is it something else?

Thanks in advance.
Eric

Eric,

No, that much end float isn't normal. For one thing, that amount of potential clearance between the small gear and the spindle pulley could result in serious damage to the pulley if you are running in back gear. And damage to the pulley and bull gear if running in direct drive. The correct position is with the collar pushed up against the small gear pushing the small gear and the pulley against the large gear. Confirm that the large gear is in line with the small back gear. Check tighten the 1/4"-20 set screw in the large gear. With the collar set screw loose, slide the collar, small gear and pulley against the large gear. Tighten the set collar set screw and confirm (with the spindle belt slack and the direct drive pin temporarily pulled out) that the pulley turns freely with only minimal end float ).001" to .003").

There are oil plug screws in both the spindle pulley and the back gear. Those should be removed and a little SAE 20 ND oil squirted into the holes.

Go to DOWNLOADS and go down to A/C Mills. Download the mill headstock tech bulletin. Also download the one on the 6" lathe (copy also under Mill). The headstocks are functionally the same and the written instructions are actually somewhat better and a little more detailed.

Very helpful, thanks for posting this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back