Metric Threading kit for 14" bed extension on HF lathe?

Streetfighterkz

Registered
Registered
Thinking of upgrading to a 14" bed on my little HF 7x10 lathe. I checked compatibility on LMS and they said the bed kit (#1928) fits my lathe. But when I checked the 14" metric threading kit (#2026) it says it only fits the Big Dog, Micro-Mark and Warco 7x14's. Will the threading kit fit the bed extension kit?

Thanks.

Later, Doug

For all of those wondering (probably just me :rolleyes:), I called LMS and talked to a Roger. He confirmed that the two will work together, but they don't list the 14" metric threading kit as being compatible with the HF lathe as it didn't come with the 14" bed stock.

Later, Doug

I put one on mine when I had the original 7x10 bed. I didn't bother when I upgraded the bed. You can get within a tiny margin of error of the thread size with standard change gears and the 21 tooth gear. I just use dies most times lately.

If you do metric most of the times, it is a nice upgrade. If you do some metric and some S.A.E. threads, you are going to be off some either way. It is not a quick and easy swap for just the time you want the other system. Mainly because of the half-nut.

Give Chris a call and ask him directly. If you lathe is a 92932 7X10 he will know the correct answer immediately and will make sure that you have everything you will need to put it together. They offer a kit of tools that contains the taps that you will need to complete the project. As far as I know they fit perfectly, but it would be worth a phone call to LMS to ask Chris and be certain.

Bob

I just use dies most times lately.

If you do metric most of the times, it is a nice upgrade.

I use metric threads nearly 100% of the time on my foreign motorcycles. But for some of the thread sizes I need, a die may cost half of what the kit costs. I think it'll just be easier to use the metric kit.

Later, Doug

I use metric threads nearly 100% of the time on my foreign motorcycles. But for some of the thread sizes I need, a die may cost half of what the kit costs. I think it'll just be easier to use the metric kit.

Later, Doug

I know what you mean. I paid quite a bit for some odd sized metric taps and dies. M12x1.0 M14x1.0 for example. Some took a lot of research to even find somewhere to order them from...

I wish those people that go on about the superiority of the metric system would send some of the tooling and fasteners our way. I just ordered some M6 screws for a project and it will take a week or so for them to get here. Can't reasonably expect to convert to metric when all you can buy is S.A.E. (or have to pay 5 or 6 times the price for metric)

When I did my conversion, I also added an extension and mounted a handwheel on the end of the lathe. Didn't get a chance to use it that much. Also consider getting a hand crank for the spindle. Makes it much easier for threading. Especially the larger pitch threads.

Back