Metric thread with Quick Change

JPMacG

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I just realized that the Atlas/Craftsman Quick Change gear box does not provide a means of cutting metric threads. According to Tubal Cain, I would need to convert the lathe to a manual change gear configuration in order to do metric. This would be too costly for me.

Anyone know of another method? I can imagine changing the ratio between the spindle and the Quick Change gearbox by just changing two gears.

Change gears to do metric threading can be used with a quick change gear box. You just need the chart of which gears it takes for the threads you want. starting with the metric transposing gears.

I agree with Bob. I have an imperial thread lead screw and QCGB. I recently needed to single point an M16 x 1.5 pitch thread since the thread was LH and I have no LH dies or taps.

My Grizzly lathe has a few gears to change to enable machining many, but not all, metric threads or some special imperial threads.

I looked at the chart in my manual, changed one gear out and engaged with a second gear in another and I was able to machine the thread.

What is the pitch you need to machine?

I need to do a metric 1.5 pitch thread. I will have to go through the arithmetic and see if I can work it out with a single gear change.

This is the metric chart from my Grizzly G9249 lathe in case your gears match.

Grizzly_G9249_metric_additional_inch_thread_chart.jpg

I may be able to machine this for you if you do not have the correct set of gears. I am up the NE Extension, NW of Allentown.

All you will need is an additional 52T gear to cut 1.5 pitch thread. It is not perfect but close enough you shouldn't have any problems. That is what I used to make my collet chuck for ER32 collets on my Atlas lathe.

Attachments

• Atlas MetricThreading Gears No 6818.pdf
    335.3 KB · Views: 49
Thank you Rob. LOL That is exactly what I want to do.... cut the threads for the nut on an ER32 chuck.

And thanks for the offer Dave. Ideally, I want to make the chuck on my lathe so that it is aligned on the spindle the way it will be used. I work in Souderton, about 45 minutes south of Allentown. I live near Newtown, a bit farther.

Last edited:
I'd say that 52T gear would work fine per the Atlas chart. Assuming the claimed 0.05906" pitch is exact (IE 0.0590600) vs a rounded number, it would take a 300mm long screw thread to show a 0.001" deviation in thread location from the 1.5mm perfection (0.05905512......")

17 pitch will be close enough if you make it a scosh undersized.

And I only need it to work over about 1/2 inch of thread. I plan to get a 52T gear and give it a try. There are a bunch listed on eBay. That same gear fits the indexing center on my mill, so it may find a second use some day.

Back