Methods for parting off larger diameters

In looking at the history, I think you are parting way to slow rpm. That chattering is the tool bit coming out of the cut. Take the piece and try cutting again at a higher speed.
As they say, parting is such sweet sorrow.

But once you get everything right for your lathe, it will be a no brainer.
i part at the same speed i turn, just go for it.

I think I parted it at 720 rpm. Normally I really don't get chatter. This time was odd. It was chattering right away.
I ended up playing with the tool geometry a bit, helped a bit. I just wound up hacking my way through. Still short tho....

Maybe crazy, but could you TIG enough to cover your shortage. Just pile it on and then turn, face it back to dimension. Might be easier than back to square one.

Anyone have any slick methods to glue aluminum back together?
I still have a chunk left, but not deep enough to remake this part.

There are plenty of two piece pulleys that thread together to offer a speed change.
The other day I took a snowblower apart to replace a belt and the pulley sheaves were individual pieces each with it's own key. They were held on with a bolt in the end of the shaft that when tightened held them together and fit the belt. If the center bolt couldn't be used then possibly three bolts could be used at a diameter larger than the shaft but smaller than where the belt rides.

I had thought of that, but if you check out the drawing, there's a relief cut into the end of the pulley.
What I was going to try, since the piece is basically scrap, was to have the pulley body thread into the shoulder body. In a left hand thread.

I had thought of that, but if you check out the drawing, there's a relief cut into the end of the pulley.
What I was going to try, since the piece is basically scrap, was to have the pulley body thread into the shoulder body. In a left hand thread.

Jeez... someone delete those.
I'm in a basement and the connection is spotty. The page wouldn't refresh on my phone.

Back