Metalworking CNC Router for small workshop.

Hyperprapor

Registered
Registered
Actually, i'm looking into hobby machining for a few of my projects. So, now i'm looking into CNC router, small enough to fit into my garage (about 4x7 meters), there's 380V powerline. My requirements for that router:
- to be small enough, i don't really need something over 3m at height and over few tons weight.
- able to get .01mm accuracy.
- and took data from the modern CAD software.
- oh, and price is not the last parameter to look at. Is it worth to look at used machinery?

So. Any advices, what should i look into?
P.S. Sorry for inconvenience, english is not my native language.

What maximum working X/Y/Z dimensions are you needing? What metal? 2D? , 2-1/2D? , 3D?

Ken

A used machine is OK, but the 0.01 mm accuracy is going to be a problem. For a very good router 0.1 mm accuracy would be reasonable.

It sounds like the consensus is that a CNC router cannot hold the desired tolerance. Would a CNC mill fit the requirement? What is your needed work envelope?

What maximum working X/Y/Z dimensions are you needing? What metal? 2D? , 2-1/2D? , 3D?

Ken
Lets say about 1000/1000/300. I suppose that would be enough. Steel, aluminium. But i think steel is the main problem here. 3D mostly.

.00039" accuracy, good luck with that, you will need more then a "router" for this.
Sorry, router may be a wrong term here. I mean - a milling cnc machine is needed. May be 3-4 axis. Something like that.

That is a large milling machine. Something like a Fadal VMC-6030 would be in the size range you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FADAL-VMC-6...er-/282347987398?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275

Even with that machine, holding 0.01mm consistently is going to be difficult. Everything will have to be adjusted perfectly.

There are many manufactures of machines that size, you will just have to find one.

Well, it could be smaller. Precision is more important for me. Sizes like that is absolute maximum. Doubtfully that i would ever use it for machining something that big.
But whatever, is there any manufacturer ranking? Which CNC maker worth look at, and which - to avoid?

Even with a moderately good used mill, it will cos t a great deal of money. This seems way outside the "hobby" tool. It looks like asking for a battleship, when you really need a very nice fishing boat. ;)

Ken

Even with a moderately good used mill, it will cos t a great deal of money. This seems way outside the "hobby" tool. It looks like asking for a battleship, when you really need a very nice fishing boat. ;)

Ken
Well. I'm not limited to a hobby alone, so... if it could be a business - let it be so. But right now i'm just reseaching - would it fit for me, or not.

Back