Metal Working Lathe

Hi Dan,

for 2K you should be able to find a pretty decent Colchester, Harrisson, or other light-industrial lathe, if you're really lucky you might get a Dean Smith & Grace, a CVA (British clone-ish of the Monarch 10EE) or a Holbrook, the DSG is more production, the CVA and Holbrook more toolroom - all will come with niceties like quick-change threading gearboxes, power feeds, and above all build quality to last longer than the (Chinese) warranty!

There are useful threads of choosing a lathe, basically they come down to "what do you want to do with it?" and "how much time can you put into it?"

I bought a scruffy but sound Holbrook C13 (now 60 years old, at least another 60 in it) which needed a VFD adding as it's 415v 3-phase only and did a basic clean fix and refurb, it's a joy to use compared to the Chinese imports, even those costing 2 or 3 times your budget, and cost me less than a well-tooled secondhand Chinese mini-lathe...

The fact it weighs 2 tons and needs 415v may have put the other bidders off, but a hiored 4x4, sturdy trailer and scaffold poles / 4x2s to roll it on made moving pretty simple, a hacked VFD (cheap older unit off Ebay) delivers 415v from 240v house mains and adds braking, more control of the speed etc. which now ranges from 4 rpm to 2500 with 3 HP behind it!

DO remember though, the tooling can cost more than the machine, so try to get as much as you can with the machine - it can make an older industrial machine much cheaper even in the short term if it comes with (e.g.) 3 and 4-jaw chucks, a collet set, centres, quick-change toolpost and holders (I'll never go back!) rather than a bare brand new machine with just a 3-jaw chuck.

What British Steel said. I would be looking for CVA, Holbrook, DSG, then Colchester and Harrison in that order. I have a Colchester Chipmaster and nearly traded it in for a Holbrook Junior.

Just be aware that sometimes a "cheaper" lathe may have a better combination of features like HP, spindle diameter, rigidity, speeds, feeds and thread capability etc... This is why I ended up sticking with my Chipmaster. Just be very clear about what you need first.

Paul.

Back