Metal versus wood bandsaw

I posses a delta 14" bandsaw that is a metal wood bandsaw. this is from delta/ Rockwell. there is a reduction gearbox built in on the back. one lever pull switches it from 3000 fpm to 180 fpm there is no other difference I find on the saw. I don't know if they still sell it I have had mine for 20 plus years. I have cut 2" dia 4140 on this saw as well as many types of wood works well bill

I have a Jet woos/metal bandsaw and it works the same way. Just open the door pull the knob to switch from wood to metal. I've cut some aluminum with it but haven't tried steel yet.

George

I have a 14" Delta with factory gearbox for metal. Works great for me but just a hobby shop.

Cutting speeds for metals range from ~100-500 FPM. Cutting speeds for wood should be something more like 4000 FPM. Of course, wood and plastic can be cut at the lower speed, but obviously speed will be compromised. Less obviously, it is likely that surface finish will suffer, as well. I use an old craftsman 3 wheel bandsaw originally intended for woodworking that has been slowed down, and it works quite well. Bi-Metal blades work well for cutting mild steel, carbon steel blades can be used for aluminum.

I have an old Delta wood/metal 14 inch bandsaw as well. Think its something like 20:1 gear reduction and a set of 4 step pulleys when cutting metal. Gets down to 100 sfpm for steel.

Greg

I also have the Delta wood/metal bandsaw. Had it for about 50 years. Still has the same steel guide blocks (no guide bearings). And has the same tires from about a change 30 years ago! I do not release the band tension when not in use. I know I should, but I’m not seeing/hearing/feeling a problem because of it. I do run it with the tension on the loose side. Runs great and hassle free….Dave.

My Wilton 14" does 2600 SFM for wood and is VS from 116 to 330 SFM for metals. I also have a Rigid 14" wood saw that I converted to cut metal by a pulley system that mounts under the saw. It cuts thinner material ok but stalls if pushed too hard on thicker material. I haven't been able to stall the Wilton no matter how hard I push it. Other than that it's very similar to the Rigid in design but the has the typical differences between Chinese and Taiwan made machines.

Back