Metal Shaper Toolholder Adapter

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i made a toolholder adapter for my ammco 7" metal shaper.
Ammco 7 1.jpg
my machine is made to accept 3/8" wide toolholders or tooling and up to just under 1" thick.
i had some resharpened carbide tipped lathe parting tools that i got cheap.

IMG_2783.JPG
i wanted to either shop make an AXA toolholder to accept the lathe parting tools,
or
adapt them for use in the shaper.
i ended up going with plan B...

i'll use the carbide for slotting and for general light clean up work on the shaper.

i had a piece of aluminum casting i reclaimed from a broken part of a meat packing machine.
the alloy is unknown, but it is mostly aluminum.
it doesn't machine nice like 6061, so it may be some boo-boo sand cast crap,
but it is suitable for this purpose.

i laid out the rough dimensions and went to work on the vertical mill
i used a 1/2"x 1.5", 2 flute endmill for most of the work
i refined the pocket with an 1/8" endmill, along the perimeter

IMG_2784.JPGIMG_2785.JPG
and somehow magically (hours later), this popped out!
FullSizeRender_3.jpg FullSizeRender_1_3.jpg

the tool is about .002" larger than its pocket.
i'm counting on the compression of the aluminum crushing against the tool and the toolholder to hold it securely.
here are a few test photos in 6061 aluminum

IMG_2788.JPGIMG_2789.JPGIMG_2790.JPGIMG_2791.JPG
i may need to incorporate a secondary blade pincher, if there is a lot of stick out and i get some chatter.
but that may be another chapter.

thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I don't think your getting enough clamping pressure with the set up the way it is . If the blade were centered under the lock down bolt with a bit more clearance I'd bet it would be good and I bet no chatter.

Than you!
i haven't experienced chatter, but i was taking light cuts.
i'm already contemplating another way of skinning the same cat, maybe in a different material next time!

If you can slot a piece in the center the blade can be on top to give more support even under close to the depth of cut. The more support the better.

It would seem like the tool would be loose in the lantern post. Your idea is great and provides me with one more use for my shaper,
Have a good day
Ray

Back