Metal polishing

neksmerj

Registered
Registered
We all have different approaches to polishing machine parts.

What we are looking for is minimum effort for maximum effect. I can't be bothered going through various grades of emery paper, or what ever.

Dings I attempt to file out, then linish or a lick with emery paper.

If the part is rusty, I attack it with a Scotchbrite rough finishing wheel mounted on a tapered mandrel in the grinder. On the other end is a fine Scotchbrite finishing wheel.

The rough wheel produces a course satin finish, and will remove metal, so don't press too hard. The finer wheel produces a nice satin finish. These processes are done dry.

Off with those wheels and on with a stitched sisal wheel one end, and a soft sisal or calico wheel the other. Using the stitched sisal wheel and some black "Fast-cut" compound will produce a nice shine that almost looks good enough.

The satisfaction comes from using the calico wheel and some Green compound. This quickly produces a bright chrome like finish. That's it, simple.

The pictures show the handle part polished with rust, the other fully polished.

Do you have any tips you would like to share?

Ken

Handle polished.jpg Handle rust removed.jpg Polished handle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't ever get the things i make that shiny,calico wheel and some kind of green compound hmm

Billy,

What technique are you using? Obtaining a mirror finish is easy if you follow my suggestions above.

Keeping the shine and avoiding rust, is another matter. Some recommend lanolin, some recommend
Boeshield, there are many suggestions.

What works for you?

Ken

Ken i usually use a die grinder with 30,60,80, then 120 grit disc. Then i use some finishing pads,but i don't think they're scotchbrite. I've tried the sisel pad on a bench grinder and never get any results from that. Probably not using the right compound.

Billy,

Go get yourself a stick of black "Fast cut" compound. Your sisal wheel needs to be stiff, preferably stitched. This will make all the difference. It should be rough like a door mat.

Only use black compound on your stiff sisal buff, and, only green compound on your calico buff, don't swap the compounds around.

Try this and let's know how you went.

Ken

Back