Metal Foundry Burner

BROCKWOOD

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Had to replace my hot water heater. Now I'm parting out the old unit that imploded. Nothing wrong with the gas regulator / burner system. Will it do for a shop built metal foundry?

Not sure if it flows enough gas- perhaps if you bored out the main jet and increased the airflow?
-Mark

Probably not the best idea, it takes a lot of heat to melt even aluminum. It takes a forced draft burner to efficiently melt metals, except for lead based alloys, I have a pot for babbit work that uses a propane fired plumbers furnace burner.

Not very useful . I would recommend propane and a 30 PSI regulator. And something like this:
1623276288850.png
However! If the water heater has a metal tank, that could make a perfect furnace body.

Robert

Not very useful . I would recommend propane and a 30 PSI regulator. And something like this:
View attachment 368696
However! If the water heater has a metal tank, that could make a perfect furnace body.

Robert
Yes, that would work also, they can make a pretty intense flame, acting much the same as a blowtorch burner used on the plumber's pots.

i don't know what capacity you'd require, but i saw this video months ago
i thought it was interesting, maybe it may spark inspiration

As I attempted to remove the gas regulator from said hot water heater, I cracked the casting & it did not budge at all. While I believe it to be whole enough to be of use for something, it (based on all your input) could never help in generating the 2900 I hope to achieve. This is a great response to aid in the future of us wishing to pursue casting! If you have more, please share as it is not just for me!

As I attempted to remove the gas regulator from said hot water heater, I cracked the casting & it did not budge at all. While I believe it to be whole enough to be of use for something, it (based on all your input) could never help in generating the 2900 I hope to achieve. This is a great response to aid in the future of us wishing to pursue casting! If you have more, please share as it is not just for me!

There's a reason us plumbers don't touch old water heaters except to cut them loose. You could buy the burner assemble new for a few dollars.

Back