Mentor needed. Cross roads of LA and SB areas

Phrog

Registered
Registered
For the last 30+ years I worked with my hands from the Marines to civilian life in aviation. I have always enjoyed working and getting dirty... putting in a hard days work. I wanted to learn welding and search and search finally finding a place that was not a community college or vocational school that cost thousands of dollars and 2 or more years. I was not looking to get certified just gain the fundamentals, use the equipment, and get direction and instruction from an experienced " white beard, silver back, grey wizard " that has done welding his entire life . I was able to go after work, on my days off, and some weekends... I paid for the time I needed and the use of his equipment and it was a fair deal. After 6 months and yet still a novice at MIG and TIG welding, I have a good base to move forward on my own.

My latest search for the same experience regarding conventional Lathe has not gone so well. I have found plenty of vocational and other schools that offer CNC Lathe... $10k+ and 1 to 2 years. It would be great to just buy an entry level lathe and make chips... However, I do not have a place for a lathe at this time.

The desire to take a piece of metal and machine it into something useful is a burning one. With all the skilled trades and those white beards, silver backs, and grey wizards out there it seems a shame that a person wanting to put in the time and money for such an experience as a hobby-machines can't be found. I have gone to many machine shops and was turned away, be it a liability issue, workload, or just no interest.... that it's a bit unsettling. It's been a long year in my search and I will not give up.

if your in the area within reason.... Please let me know

Back