• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Members' Tooling "Wish Lists"

Tony Wells

Former Vice President
Staff member
Administrator
I'll be looking for some 50 taper tooling in the next couple of months. Not exactly hobby stuff, for the most part. End mill holders, face mills, shell arbors.....stuff like that.

ScrapMetal

Active User
Someone planning on being Santa??? I won't sit in your lap but I really, really, really want/need an American made milling machine in great condition (Bridgeport comes to mind) with x and y power feeds and tons of tooling. A parting tool with carbide inserts is definitely on the list (may be in my Enco order basket already ;) ). Another piece I would really like to have is a cut-knurling tool. A floor standing drill press is somewhere in the future as well.

On second though, if it will put a mill in my hands, I might be willing to sit on your lap. :tounge:

-Ron

P.S. All kind of other stuff.

jgedde

Active User
I'd love to get my hands on any 5C collets in sizes apart from 1/16" increments... That's my wish...

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.,...

John

Tony Wells

Former Vice President
Staff member
Administrator
If I remember what I read, they offered the special braille micrometers at no charge to whose who needed them, and it was not restricted to the 0-1". It would be an interesting piece to add to a collection.

Happy hunting, Bill!

Tony Wells

Former Vice President
Staff member
Administrator
That's too bad, Bill. I'm thinking those are destined to become even more rare as they disappear into collections owned by people who have no descendants that will recognize their worth.

Did this auction have a good turnout?

ScrapMetal

Active User
Re: Members' Tooling

author=Bill Gruby link=topic=3737.msg28071#msg28071 date=1317571961
Just got home, empty handed I'm afraid. Those guys are heavy hitters with extremely deep pockets. The Braille Mike went for an astounding $3100.00. That's way out of my league.

Did someone say they wanted a Bridgeport? 4 are for sale here in Bristol. They are in a pattern shop and were only used on wood. There is also a Southbend 14 lathe there. All Aloris tooling for the lathe. Delta 10" Uni Saw $500.

"Bill Gruby" ;0
Yeah, that price seems to be a little "silly" if you don't mind my saying. Sorry to hear it didn't come home with you.

I would love to look at those Bridgeports and SB 14" but the distance is just too much. It kind of drives my a little batty (as if I need help there ;) ) the amount and quality of stuff you guys back east seem to have access to. Out here in the middle of the country those kinds of machines are about as rare as hen's teeth. :depressed:

-Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

ScrapMetal

Active User
Bill, you evil tease. ;) I do appreciate the offer but I think the logistics of both shipping and delivery would preclude any real considerations of such a purchase.

Thanks though,

-Ron

ScrapMetal

Active User
Sorry to hear it's as bad for you in Perth. You are right, I should inquire as to shipping but if some of the other shipping I've done is any indication, let's just say I'm pessimistic. :-\ I don't have a loading dock, a fork lift, or boom so a delivery truck would have to have it's own way of getting it to the ground.

Heck, the last "shipment" I got was a stack of foam floor mats that were 4'x'4'x4' and weighed about 400 lbs. That alone was over 2 bills and some change and to add insult to injury the truck they sent couldn't get into my parking lot and it didn't have a lift gate. I had to unload it in the street across from my building and by "unload" I mean that the delivery guy pushed it out the back of the truck into my waiting arms. I gently lowered it to the ground then got my 2-wheel dolly under it and finished the "delivery". As much as I would like to see a Bridgeport show up at my place I doubt that I would want to give it a hug as it was pushed off the back of a truck into my arms. ??? Would be a good one for youtube though... ;)

-Ron

Max_Power

Hi guys, So my drill chuck for my mill has really crappy runout on small diameter drills. At first I thought I had just gotten a crappy cheap set of bits, But its the chuck. So I'd like to find a quality chuck....More important for it to hold small stuff then large but I'd be happy if it did it all. I prefer a keyed chuck but keyless is ok if I can afford it. My spindle is r8 but I'm sure I can get a arbor for most common sizes pretty cheap. Let me know if you guys have/see anything. Thanks in advance, Todd

Nels

Founder
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium
Re: Members' Tooling "Wish Lists"

I know this is an old thread, but since it's a sticky, I'll play too! Since I just bought a mill, most of what I'm finding I need at the moment is milling related. Flycutter, vise, hold downs. 1-2-3 blocks are something I've been meaning to pick up for a while, and parallels. I have a few indicators, but I've never managed to pick up a dial test indicator. And somewhere down the road I wouldn't mind trying a coaxial indicator.

Oh, and most pressing is a quick change tool holder for my lathe and a 4 jaw chuck.

Thats all I can think of right now. I actually have a pretty long list, I have measuring tools, but I'm lacking tooling. It's a slow process! ;-)
Nitsuj,

We want to see pics of your new (old) Clausing when you get it! Those are very nice machines.

Nelson

Syaminab

Active User

Well, I would like a Tos lathe, 650mmx2meters. Also a Tos #4 milling machine. But most, to learn how to use them well. Also, I dont know how to say it in english...an elbow brush?, scraper? Its a big machine with a moving Ram you attach a bit to it and it scrapes metal lineally.

MisterT

Swarf
Registered Member

I've got a holdridge radii cutter model 12-d. It is absolutely like new and was only used ones. All the cutters but one is still in wax. No corrosion and in orginal box. I'll make someone a smoking deal. My email is tayloraircraftservice at yahoo.

Nitsuj

Swarf
Registered Member

I really need a smallish mill vise for my Clausing 8520 mill. 4" would be great. 5" would be do-able. Can't spend a ton, so probably don't want a Kurt. Don't want garbage either.

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter-Premium

When I started putting my little shop together last spring I was basically starting from scratch again, as my last set of little machines was over a decade ago and I lost everything. But, I'm slowly putting together what I need/want. Things I still want/need:

4x6 horiz/vert band saw (high priority, as I'm getting tired of using a hand saw...)
small bench top blast cabinet (more of a want than need as I'm not sure where I'd put it)
6" rotary table (on plan to purchase next week)
Indexer or indexing plates for my rotary table
steady rest
5" four-jaw
5" collet chuck and collets
radius turning setup for lathe (probably will have to make this)
2 or 3" boring head R8
a 3/8" and 1/2" indexable boring bar for the lathe
Co-Ax indicator
decent inspection table, 12x12 or 12x18, probably pink as it will last longer than a black one
height guage
0-3" micrometer set
gauge sets (block, pin, radius)
a couple of machinist's squares, 4 and 6"
a 4 or 6" right angle plate or whatever you call it for the mill
broaching set to 1" or so
one ton arbor press
small belt sander, or attachment for my 6" grinder.

and so on...

It's a work in progress, but I'll get it done. :)

Bill

coyotejake

Iron
Registered Member

I've got a holdridge radii cutter model 12-d. It is absolutely like new and was only used ones. All the cutters but one is still in wax. No corrosion and in orginal box. I'll make someone a smoking deal. My email is tayloraircraftservice at yahoo.
OOH, OOH, OOH!! I would be REALLY interested in your holdridge radii cutter!!!!!!!!!!!!! What size is the 12-d (clearance over saddle, compound)?
--

valleyboy101

Active User

I would be very happy with a 12" Hendey shaper to replace the one I sold in 2003, I've been looking but so far no luck. If I got an additional wish I would go for a surface grinder.
Michael

sinebar

Active User

1. an unlimited budget.
2. CNC mill (Tormach looks interesting)
3. horizontal band saw.
4. A complete tool box like the one Keith Fenner gave away. (tip o' the hat to Mr. Fenner and all the other donors)

jj

My birthday is only five months away and I'll send anybody my Enco wishlist.

Last edited:

jaded13640

Active User

I just bought a mill and a brake lathe. I don't have or really want to have a functional machine shop as in the form of a business. I fix cars and if people find out that I can build stuff and it's worth the money, I'd consider diversifying a bit.

What's probably really going to happen, I'll use it occastional to make things for people but mostly it'll sit under a tarp until I need to make a bracket for my race car.

At this point I'd like to get a dial height gauge and shop grade surface plate, a set of parallels, some collets and some hold downs. I have good vice and a drill chuck, fly cutter and several end mills. And of course drill bits.

At some point I'd like to get a really cheap small lathe for misc. stuff that I need to make here and there. It would be so infrequently it would have to be VERY cheap.

A harbor freight small portable band saw would be great but I have an abrasive chop saw for now. Messy and noisy but get's the job done. I can deal with mess and noise.

Oh, and a shop that actually doesn't leak and has insulation. That would be a real plus.

Wayne

Plum Creek

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium

Tony, I realize this was a while back but if you are still looking for a face mill I have a few 4" NOS, by Milling Specialties, that I would tradefor lathe time or???? I probably have 50 taper tools as well. I will be in GGG this weekend if your interested.

I'll be looking for some 50 taper tooling in the next couple of months. Not exactly hobby stuff, for the most part. End mill holders, face mills, shell arbors.....stuff like that.

toolroom

I'm always a bit late for this Harbor Freight stuff... I read a few months ago that Harbor Freight had a three insh rotary table for $59.00. Of course they're all sold out, but If anyone has one, and think it's too small to use, I'd be interested in it.
tha' tha' thats all folks
Dinkin

Mark in Indiana

Active User

I would like an indexing table along with a lathe chuck that can be mounted to it. That way I can preform some lathe operations on my mill. I have contacted used equipment dealers in my area to be on the look out for it.