Measuring Internal Threads

I have a excel program that I use for the threads I deal with in my job. It calculates the OD's, ID's to prepare the cutting the thread to as well as pitch diameters of internal and external threads. Also measurement over wires and best wire size for external threads. And last, creates dimensions to cut threads for soft gauges. It's only set up for class 2 threads. It maybe too much to for the average HSM. If interested, I'll see if I can post it in the down load section. I also have drawings that you just fill in the blanks for shop use in making gauges.

I would be interested in the spreadsheet if you don't mind sharing.

This might be a silly thought, or I do not understand fully what you are trying to do. Why not use the old barrel stub as your plug gauge? It fit once and worked well, shouldn't a well made copy suffice for your purposes? Who knows? You may get a in-accurate plug gauge to your receiver. Slim chance----but possible!

This might be a silly thought, or I do not understand fully what you are trying to do. Why not use the old barrel stub as your plug gauge? It fit once and worked well, shouldn't a well made copy suffice for your purposes? Who knows? You may get a in-accurate plug gauge to your receiver. Slim chance----but possible!

I do the reverse of that now - I use the receiver as the gauge for the new barrel threads I'm cutting. Once I get close I test fit often and take off a thousandth or so at a time until it just twists on. It works, but I have no way to quantify what "just fits" means. As an anal-retentive engineer that bothers me, so I want to find a way to measure everything and just cut to a calculated measurement instead of all that test fitting.

Thanks everyone, it was been years since I cut internal threads. I always learn new tools and methods when i am here. I have used plug and ring gages in production before. Seldom used wires and micrometer method.

I hope your threading project was successful.

do you have the old barrel just measure that. if not look up the specs of the thread in the machinery handbook and make a plug gauge to match the specs test fit it if too loose make another on slightly larger do this until it fits like you want it then thread your barrel bill

Back