Maxnovo Tam 18 x 40 inch Lathe restoration project

moddy

Registered
Registered
Hello

I starts to post the project that is the reason for me to join this fine club.

I accidentally ended up buying a old Maxnovo Lathe for scrap steel prize. I relay like this old iron, and felt sorry for the poor thing.
60 and then some years of abuse on a "not-5S-sertified" work shop and then just thrown away?

The lathe has a CENTER HIGHT of about 220mm I'm not sure, but think that this means it's a 8,4x40 lathe in Europe and an 18 times 40 lathe in US. Is that correct?

IMG_0419.gif

IMG_0425.gif

IMG_0423.gif

After all the hard work getting it into my shop, I started to tear it apart. During the tear down process, some errors appeared....

IMG_0438.gif

It might not show to well on the phone-image, but the apron (I think its called apron?? The feeding mechanism box?) was mutilated with welds, toothless cogwheels and cracks.

IMG_0454.gif

Anyone here familiar with Sisophys? The fellow who have named many of the tasks I do in my shop... I had to cut out the axle on both sides of the cogwheel due to welding...
However, the image is laying, I started of with this hand-saw but ended up with a power tool :whistle:

IMG_0461.gif

When cleaning up after removing the spindle gear box, I saw some markings on the surface both on the lathe frame and on the corresponding surfaces of the gearbox. (Maybe headstock gearbox is more correctly?)
Since there is no other evidence of refurbishing on this machine, can this be traces of Original Factory Scraping? I think so, but please tell me what you think.

IMG_0463.gif

As always, When I reach this stage in a refurbishing, I start to picture the machine as it will be when completed :thumbsup2:

IMG_0477.gif

So far so good, Three parts finished and assembled. I wonder how many parts this Lathe consists of? Hmm Maybe a part-count would be fun... ?

That's it for now, but I'll post again in irregular manners.

IMG_0419.gif IMG_0425.gif IMG_0423.gif IMG_0438.gif IMG_0454.gif IMG_0461.gif IMG_0463.gif IMG_0477.gif

I don't know what it is about Scandinavian machinists, but they're a fantastic source of old machinery restoration threads :) Can't wait to see what you've done to the rest of it.

Might be worth moving this thread to the Machinery Restoration forum though, you may be more likely to get a few more hits/ comments there.

That is a fine looking and no doubt powerful beast you have aquired for yourself. I have a 1947 14 1/2 South Bend that has a lot of the original scraping in low wear areas, so I'd say it could be the original scraping on yours ..what is the year of manufacture? It apears to be not real old well newer than mine . Look forward to seeing it progress

Thanks for your replies. I have posted for the moderators to move the thread, as adviced.

Regarding the scraping marks, I also have have the impression that the lathe has never been restored so the scraping must be original. Is that a good sign? I'm not a skilled maskinist, so I don'n know, but to me it looks like only high end manufacturers could use skraping to fit parts, but low end machines was just assembeled. Is that right?

I ordered a sales brochure from Lathes.co.uk or something where the manufacturer stated they would be second to none. That is a sales statement, of cource...:))

Regarding the age of the macine, The seller told me that his father bought it brand new in 1962. On lathes.co.uk they estimate the production to have ended some times during the fifties, but it's probably that they have sold some "rest stock" in norway some years later. I have not yet found any markings on the machine that give me evidense, but the broken down apron is of a sealed construction in one pice. Some sorces indicates that this was changed to a two pice part to ease manufacturing in 1958. If so, the machine is from before 1958. I will continue to work on this to try to establish a correct "birt date" for my new pearl.

As for now, I have found out that the lathe is a Maxnovo TAM Engine lathe type A

I don know wath engine means...

The spindle speed is "standard" wich means 6 speed gear box and a two speed 4,5 hp motor that gives a total of 12 steps. The spindle speed for this beast is 48 - 900 RPM.

This machine has a "Super Presision Lead Screw" and "Automatic Reverse for threading" and a "self sentering three jaw chuck" as extra equipment as I can identify now. I do not have steady or follow rest, but they have probably been a part of the bargain back in those days.

I'l continue during the christmas, if my wife let's me out....

When filling up the headstock with oil, I discovered a leak around the drive pulley ( the v-belt wheel?)

This means that I have to change some kind of seal, and maybe I also have some bearing issues on the drive pulley.

I also noticed that the internal oil pump is not working, so I'l have to tear it apart and check.

2014-12-12 17.34.55.jpg

Since this is a Italian lathe, I expect all seals and bearings to be fearly standard metric so I can find replacement parts even if it's old.

The ways of the lathe have a lot of damage from a grinder, unfortuenately.

2014-12-13 09.33.02-1.jpg

Is it possible to weld on material here and mill it over? The way also have a wear edge of a few tenths of milimeters, so I will have to restore the wayes anyway. Will welding on the ways be dangerous for some reason due to heat?

I will apriciate your input on this, since I do not know the right way to proceed with the ways.

2014-12-12 17.34.55.jpg 2014-12-13 09.33.02-1.jpg

I'd be tempted instead to grind it flat, make a replacement section and screw it in place. Then mount a grinder to the carriage some how and grind it true. I'd sorry about the heat of welding distorting the way.

hva en vakker dreiebenk du har funnet !!!
Jeg snakker ikke Norsk, men jeg trodde jeg ville få deg til å føle deg hjemme.
markeringene er fabrikken hånd skraping merkene, det er bra.
den delen av dreiebenk måter som er skadet er det dårlige nyheter.
noen sveising eller sliping kan forvrenge justering mellom hode lager og hale lager. Jeg sier ikke at ingenting kan gjøres, jeg bare advare mot overdreven varme.
Jeg liker dreiebenk og vil nyte å se deg gjøre det arbeidet igjen.
lykke til min venn.
mike:))

Thank you, Ulma Doctor, for your Norwegian greeting. Is that a google translate session?

Anyway: Yes I know about the heat problem, and I have decided to leave this issue for now, and focusing on getting the rest together and make the lady sing.
In the mean time, I will ask a neighbor who is a famous (?) welder of his opinion and also make a way grinder similar to one I saw on YouTube the other day, After mattthemuppet's advice.
I searched for a way grinder like you said and found a cool move on YouTube of it. It looked pretty neat with a grinder like that. Maybe I can make it work as a flat grinder also if I can come up with a clever design.
To make that, I need the lathe so the prioritization solved it self.

I have also read a lot around this forum about paint jobs... I have some regrets that I didn't read them before I started painting, but I have decided to leave also that issue as it is for the moment. My first priority is to make a working and good locking (at a distance) machine and then I can spend years improving it.

My next task will be to solve the headstock gear box leakage and oil pump. I will also place the electrical cords that will be hidden once the head stock gear box is back in place.

I realy love Christmas, and always look forward to it, But this year I'm afraid the celebration will interfere with my hobby activities, so I'm feeling on some conflict of interest now....:whistle:

Back