Materials Question

nuturner

Registered
Registered
I've seen a number of demonstrations on making various lathe attachments, in particular tool holders, using aluminum stock. What grade of aluminum are these guys using?

I personally wouldn't do it, but my machines are a little larger and get pushed harder than most hobby machines. For aluminum, I would say 7075 would be my choice. Some people refer to it as "Aircraft Grade". It is one of the heat treatable grades. It should be easy to get in rectangle bar.

I agree with Tony on this one. Even 7075 doesn't have the strength of good steel. But if I were to do it 7075 is the only way to go.

"Billy G"

I personally would not make a toolholder out of aluminum. If I can take the time to machine it from aluminum, I can just as easily machine it from a block of steel. Yes, my depth of cut might will be less, requiring more cuts but the extra time involved would not be significant.

Just remember that we do this for a hobby, which means we do it for fun. Since it is all for fun, making more cuts equates to more fun, right guys??? :nuts:

You could use 2024 as well I think it's pretty close to 7075 in strength unless it's getting hot.

Thanks guys. I want to build a ball turning tool holder attachment and I thought the heavier grades of aluminum would suffice. Looks like a rookie mistake.

So am I OK with 1045 grade steel?

Last edited:
Back