Materials For a Hammer

lellasone

Registered
Registered
Hi All!

I'm in the process of learning how to make a hammer, and wanted to see what materials the community feels would be appropriate. I turned my prototype (image attached) out of 2025 aluminum, which is regularly thrown out by some of the labs on campus and thus free, but am worried that the aluminum may bend with regular use. I don't expect to be hammering too many nails, but I also want to be in a place if the hammer does end up being used for that purpose.

My current thoughts are to try 6061 aluminum for the handle, with a steel hammer cheek of some sort, but any input at all would be very much appreciated.
All the best,
Many thanks,
Jake

(I'm still very new to this community, so if I'm posting this in the wrong place or anything else seems amiss please don't hesitate to point it out)

DSC02144.JPG

Looks good to me. I've never used 2025 but it appears to be more than strong enough if they use it in aircraft props and car bodies. Most of these hammers are used for light duty applications (tapping a vise into position) so I suspect you'll be fine, and you can't beat the price.

Good steel hammer heads are made of S7 tool steel, quenched and tempered.

Personally, I like ash handles.

An aluminum hammer is a nice tool to get your toolmakers vise in true. Nice job btw.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

That's pretty much how I made mine except I used 6262 for the handle adn 12l14 for the head.
I plan on making another another one except all steel with a skinnier handle.

@mikey, Free is indeed my favorite price.

@wawoodman, I'm hearing rock on a stick :)

@ WillTheDancer, I hadn't thought about that application. Sounds like I'll have to make a toolmakers vice so I can align it...
If you don't mind my asking, why do you prefer ash handles?
7S for the high comprehensive strength?

@ddickey, If I might ask, why did you go with 12l14 for the head?

Thanks everyone for responding :)

Jake

Make a stainless steel hammer with a set of different types of heads. Brass, copper, steel, plastic,....

Here's some ideas.

I just used mild steel for my body and handle to give it some weight and then made soft faces - aluminium and brass - for the ends.
IMG_3335.JPG
Have been surprised how much I use it, I have already taken the ends off and re-faced them off in the lath twice to tidy it up.

Jake, if I may address one of your questions above, ash is my favourite also for hammer handles. It is a very light and strong wood that is/was used in baseball bats and hockey sticks for example. Sometimes available as wood flooring.

Ash hammer handles give the best feel and comfort to my big hands.
Problem with wood handles is with variations in humidity the head might come loose and require tightening on occasion.

If the labs ever ditch some wood airplane propellers then I would latch on to those real quick!

PS: Wood is easier to sculpt into an oval shape than metal is (at least for me it is).

Last edited:
Back