material organization

Just a small garage shop here, but using about 12-feet of 4" PVC pipe, scrap wood and an $11 Harbor Freight dolly (bought on sale for $8), I built this little cart to organize some of my metal stock.

The HF dolly is rated at 1,000 pounds, so even if you down-rate that to a more conservative 500 pounds, there's still plenty of capacity. The rig rolls really easily -- even over shop mats -- and there's no tendency to tip.

What's really nice is how much material you can store when it's vertical, and how easily you can locate what you need. It's been a handy addition to the shop.

Ken

Metal-Storage-Cart-1.jpg

Metal-Storage-Cart-2.jpg

Seeing this thread I decided to do something about the various stacks of materials I've got laying around the shop. The long stuff I leave on the floor behind the lathe. Other random lengths get stacked in the corner next to my welding and grinding tables. Usually I throw the short random pieces into a box , mostly to never reappear again. So decided at least, to have a go at organizing my short to medium length materials - all thread, round stock, and some flat bar stock - up to 6" to 24" long.

So, welded up a simple frame to horizontally stack 24" lengths of six inch PVC pipe. I made the frame to sit on a shelf on one of my storage cabinets. Here's the result. So far so good. (P.S. The frame could sit atop a small square steel storage rack, if I ever get that far down my Project list.)

Here are the raw pieces for the frame, before cutting and welding - lengths of square and twisted bar stock from our old front door railing.

IMG_4320.JPG

End result - 5 pieces of 6" PVC pipe loose stacked in the frame. Filled with various round stock.
IMG_3514.JPG H

Here's the frame. 18"x14" with 9" uprights to hold the pipe sections
IMG_3509.JPG

Close up of the frame construction - still needs to be cleaned up and painted.

I figure I could stack more pipe sections to make a third and forth row if needed - by sliping lengths of 3/4" square tubing over the uprights, and adding more layers of pipes. So far, don't have a need to do so.

IMG_4323.JPG

And one more view with materials
IMG_4326.JPG

There are some really nice ideas here guys, I just wish I had enough stock laying around that this was a problem I needed to solve.

Back