Material for new counter-shaft

if you want something easy to machine, 12L14 or 1212 would be sufficient
1018 or 1020 could also be employed but don't finish as nice as the aforementioned free machining steels

Thanks Mike. Yes, 12L14 is nice stuff. I tried it on some other parts and really liked it.

Is the countershaft taking a big load? I'm not familiar with an MFC. For shafting, I'm more likely to go for something that is at least semi-hard - 1144, 4140 or something like that. Even drill rod is fairly hard in an annealed state.

Thanks. With the harder materials, how would I cut it to length? I could put an abrasive cut-off saw in my woodworking miter saw. Is there a better way?

A hacksaw or bandsaw works well. These materials are not hardened in the annealed state they are supplied in; they can be hardened with heat treatment. If you can find drill rod in the size you need, it will be ground and sort of polished to a usable state as is.

Keep in mind that if you have to turn any of these materials, rough slow and finish fast and be sure the work is rigidly supported. Done this way, O-1 will have a very nice finish and 1144 and 4140 will have a smooth satin finish. I normally take skim finish cuts at max speed for these materials.

Thanks. With the harder materials, how would I cut it to length? I could put an abrasive cut-off saw in my woodworking miter saw. Is there a better way?
JP.,

Most of the materials quoted are still machinable. A couple of weeks ago, I cut off a piece of 3" diameter 4140 solid round with my trusty old 4X6.

Thanks everyone.

Yesterday I ordered a 1566 steel rotary shaft (Rockwell C25) from McMaster. I also ordered a 12L14 shaft, just as a backup in case I have trouble with the harder material. (I can always use the 12L14 for other projects.) I also ordered Oilite bushings and a clamping collar. I'm turning a new small countershaft pulley out of 6061. It is almost done - I am waiting to see if the new shaft fits the bore before I take it off the chuck. The old pulley was wobbly - probably from a previous owner abusing it.

Back