Mark Stratton Book

When you're fitting a customer, they never know what feels right until you gone to far. You get beyond their comfort level and you need to add back more wood. From a blank, that's hard to do. With a pattern you simply add back some bondo. Plus when it comes to the artistry of the outside shape of the stock, a pattern lets you complete your thoughts and add details that you find fitting. Sometimes those details need to be a little deeper to allow the stylist of the duplicator gets a good contact point.

I enjoy your style of writing. And your knowledge!

Bondo is the pattern makers friend.

Looking forward to the Stock Making Book!

Having the correct tracer and cutter is a plus.

upload_2017-1-20_14-29-6.png

20170121_110514.jpg For those who have never used a duplicator before, the photo that Big Bore Builder just posted is his cutters and stylist for his machine. The cutters are in the first row, and the stylist are in the back row. Here's how it works, you rub the stylist on the pattern and the motion is transferred to the cutter via the duplicator. Now in a perfect world the stylist and cutter are the same size and shape, which transfers the perfect shape of the pattern. But you can play games with stylist. If you wants to leave more material on the stock add the amount to the stylist. If you have added .025 thousands to the stylist having a .525 diameter, and a .500 cutter it adds another .0125 materials on the stock.

Here's another type of duplicator...

Thanks for the photos Mark, very nice machine you have.

Back in my non duplicator years I always wondered how the darned things worked.

Took me forever to figure out what the cables and drums were on the old style machines.

But, now we have linear bearing machines so all that wondering was wasted!

I think you should start a checkering thread.

Cherkering? Why don't you start the thread, ask and question and I'll answer it. Cherkering is a broad subject and we starting place.

Hi Mark
I just stumbled upon this thread and would like my name added to your list for both books. Do you want payment ahead of time? What form of payment works best for you? Thank you for investing the time and effort to write the books and to help newbies like myself.

If you will, please wait until I have the books in hand before sending me a check. When they arrive I will let you guys know on this site. I'm only taking checks or money orders. I want to make sure I have the product before I make the sale. Thanks for your interest.

Mark - I'm in for both books as well and will keep an eye on this site for your notice.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mark, Please put me down for both books as well. My e-mail is shawn@kelsoarms.com if you need to reach me outside the forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Good to hear you are running another printing. Please keep us updated here. As to your question about going into machining, I am in the process of just that. I just retired from the military and am going back to a local tech school to refresh my machining experience. I learned CNC on the job and learned basic lathe at home from my father. would love to go to Trinidad but I used my GI bill on an ungrateful child so will settle for machining at a tech school.

Back