Mark Stratton Book

Cavallino

Registered
Registered
I'm trying to track down a copy of a book written by gunsmith Mark Stratton called "Tricks of the Trade Precision Rifle Metalsmithing". If anyone has a copy or knows where to get one could they let me know please.

I have this book,, and the only contact info other than the apparently inactive website address mentioned above, is P.O. Box 813, Mukilteo, WA 98275.

Thanks guys, it is a hard book to track down and I'm not sure if he is still in business, to make it more of a challenge I am in Australia so phone contact is tricky.
Brnoczech, can you give us some feedback on the book and its content, I am led to believe it has many jigs and fixtures and secrets of Mark's work over his career. Is the book worth the price tag if I can find it?

I haven't actually done any of the work that is set out in the book. It comes in a ring binder, 160 pages (80 pages printed front and back). My version is First Edition Summer of 2004. I don't know if it was subsequently revised or not. The preface states that he finished high school, and then finished the 2 year gunsmithing program at Trinidad State College in 1971. That would put him in his mid 60's now. I do recall over the years seeing pictures of many of his guns in the custom gun sections of various gun magazines, and these were very high end high quality guns that he produced. He says in the preface that he wrote 25 "how to" articles for the publication "gunmaker", a publication of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild. At mid 60's in age I assume that he is still doing this work, but don't know for sure.

The broad categories in the index to his book are (1) Quarter Ribs and Scope Bases, (2) Action Fixtures, (3) Lathe Tooling and Procedures, (4) Octagon Barrels, and (5) 1909 Argentine Mauser Fixtures. The book has a lot of detailed photos, showing the various machine set ups as well as the finished work/rifles, as well as many computer generated dimensioned pictures of bases, rings, fixtures, etc. All of the pages were apparently printed on an ink jet or laser printed, and everything is in black and white, including the pictures. On mine a few of the pages have stuck together over time, and the print transferred from one page to another (could be from the heat from where I have had the book kept), but something I also recall seeing years ago on other computer/printer generated documents. Again, it is all pretty high end stuff, and a lot of it is beyond anything that a home gunsmith doing only a few rifles would probably ever attempt to do. Nevertheless it is interesting to see the ends to which someone doing true custom high-end rifles full time has gone to produce such firearms. I don't recall what I paid for the book, but I believe that I bought it from him directly since he signed the title page. Just going back through the book I feel like it was worth whatever I paid for it.

I don't know if it was subsequently revised or not.

He was on his 7th revision back in 2011.

Mark_Stratton
02-05-2011, 1:28 PM
Well first talk to you about getting started let me introduce myself. My name is Mark Stratton and I'm a member of the American Gunmakers Guild. I have a degree from Trinidad State College in gunsmithing. I've taught at Trinidad during there NRA summer gunsmithing program for 10 years. I own my own custom rifle building business. I wrote a book on the subject called "Tricks of the Trade" Custome Rifle Metalsmithing, now in its 7th printing.

Now to your question about getting started.... There is nowhere in southern california that you can learn the trade. There is a school in northern california, at Susanville where you can get your feet wet. My advice is to take a NRA summer course and see if gunsmithing is really something you want to get into. There are several other colleges in the country where they teach gunsmithing. Colorado School of Trades, Trinidad State College have good programs. Gunsmithing is a big field with lots of different areas to get envolve in, and the area you choose has to do with the amount of money you might make.

Taking a NRA summer gunsmithing class might save you a lot of time. It will tell you whether gunsmithing is for you and point you in the right direction or you might find out that its not for you and you can get on with the rest of your life.

Just a point of clarification. In the note from Stratton that you quote above he states that the book is in its seventh "printing". I take that to mean not that it has been revised seven times, but only that 7 printing runs have been done. So if someone goes looking for the seventh revised edition as the latest, it may not exist. Not trying to be picky but the original poster might want to get clarification of that directly from Stratton if he is able to get in touch with him.

Yes, it says printing not revision. I did not catch that. That is one good reason to include source material.

Any particular reason you are looking at getting this book? I like books to use as references.

I have The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting by John l. hinnant and there is a lot of good useful information.

GST

Hi GST, I like gathering resource info books as well and have the Hinnant book in my library. I have not read Mark's book, but as mentioned above it has very detailed descriptions of jigs and fixtures he made along with the process he used for his gunsmithing work. As yet I still can't find a copy of the book and haven't been able to get in touch with Mark via email. If anyone wants to sell a a copy or knows where one is please let me know.

Back