Manual Sherline 2000 Mill Axis Lock Troubles

karim

Registered
Registered
I have a recent (< 1 year) 2000 series mill, and have been having some problems with the axis locks...
Of the three axis locks, only the X-axis seems to work without any issues. Was wondering if anyone else has seen similar issues:
  • The Y lock (little thumb knob on the left side of the saddle) doesn't appear to do anything at all. No matter how much I tighten it, I can still easily move the saddle on the Y-axis with the hand-wheel.
  • The Z-axis lock (brass lever which tightens the backlash nut) does work, but I can't seem to engage or disengage it without the z-axis moving by several thou, which kind of defeats the purpose of locking the axis.
Has anyone else encountered these problems on a recent 2000-series mill? Any hints or ideas?

So after some considerable fiddling, I've got the Z-axis lock working again... the backlash adjustment nut was a little out of tune. I've got that dialed in now.

However, still struggling with the Y-axis lock. Even with the backlash and gib adjusted so tight I almost can't turn the hand-wheel, the Y-lock thumbwheel doesn't seem to have any effect.

The Y-axis lock on a Sherline mill is not rock solid but when engaged it will keep the table from moving due to vibration. Well, at least in my experience. If you want to lock it down hard then make a short insert from brass with one end square and the other end angled at the same angle as the dovetail. When the screw presses on the square end of that insert it will lock the Y-axis down solidly.

I've never needed to use something like that on my mill. The table doesn't seem to move in use.

+1 on what Mike said. I do not have the 2000 but the 5400 uses the same thing. The insert on them is soft plastic. But it does lock it down from vibration movement. And on mine it does increase the pressure to move the wheel.

Thanks. I was wondering if I was over-thinking things, but both the X & Z axis locks seem to positively lock their axis when engaged, and so part of my worry is that if I can't tell when the lock engages, I can't tell if it is engaged.

Not that I've experienced the Y-axis moving during cuts... or that I frequently lock the axes... but I feel like in the situation that I want to lock the axes, I want to know they're locked. With the Y-axis, I genuinely cannot tell the difference through the hand-wheel between the thumbscrew all the way open and cranked down as hard as I can manage.

Keep in mind that the screw locks directly down on the dovetail - go too hard and you'll dig into the dovetail. I don't lock my axes in use and have never had the table move. We aren't able to take huge cuts that would cause movement unless the gibs are very loose so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Keep in mind that the screw locks directly down on the dovetail

Well, there should be a small plastic plug that the Y-axis screw pushes into the gib, so there shouldn't be direct contact between the thumb screw and the gib or dovetail. But I take your point, which is why I was hoping for a more definitive sense of locking. Oh Well.

I'm well aware of the tip on that screw. Use enough pressure, however, and damage can result. I'm sure you won't do that but I have seen reports of guys who have over the years. To be honest, I have used a Sherline mill for over 20 years and rarely ever locked any of the axes, including Z. My suggestion would be to just use it and not worry about it unless it becomes an issue.

Here is a link to a more positive y-axis stop that requires no modifications to the Sherline mill. I have used this stop for a number of years and like its more positive action. Even this stop will not hold the table if you really try to crank the handle, but why would you do that. There are many other useful tips on the Sherline website.

Hope this helps, Karim.

John

Hi John,

Yep! Since this thread I spotted that tip on the Sherline site. I have a little hunk of aluminum set aside to build it soon.

It still seems an odd omission to me on an otherwise nicely designed machine... why have an axis lock when its impossible to tell if it's locked? Especially when the other two axes are very positive and clear when they're locked.

Thanks!

Back