Manganese Phosphating AKA Parkerizing

Scopx

Registered
Registered
Has anyone on this forum tried it? The more I read about it, the more convinced that it would not be difficult to do. The manganese process has better lubrication properties than the zinc. And would be good for some trick engine stuff also.
Have a 30.06 barrel in the white and will do the deed.
Any experience on DIY Parkerizing?

Just so happens I set up a couple of tanks last month for Manganese Phosphate. Nothing to it. I'll see if I can dig up the recipe I used. I did some parts for a gas drilling motor and the customer wanted the process, and I didn't want to send it out. Years ago I did it at a shop I worked in, but only recently did I need it in my shop.

There's a Harley collector near by that restores his own bikes and does it in house, turns out nice

It is fairly easy to do, and Brownells, Midway, and other online sources offer premixed solutions for various coloring shades. Google will help with all that. A good SS tray is needed for the solution to work in.

One word of caution (speaking from personal experience) is, if you boil your solution, MAKE SURE it is a well ventilated area - the fumes can do serious damage to your respiratory system in inhales in large amounts.

I would think that there would be way to buy directly from the chemical companies, unless of course, it came in 55 gallon drums only! Brownells and others mentioned are just resellers, after diluting to their formula.
Brass Magnet-On proper ventilation-guess I will have to do it like when welding galvanized metal-just hold my breath and don't let any "smoke" get on me. lol

Oh sure, you can go direct in volume if need be. Most people don't require large amounts of Ph. acid and mang, powder, etc. :) A little bit goes a long way, and it's savable once used, so you can reuse it a few times at least. Speaking of welding galvanized metal, I just did a small pipe the other day, but welds did not hold well. I'm not familiar with requirements for welding galvanized metal - is there a trick or technique special to it?

Well, if that's all one needs to do, then something else went wrong. I turned a coupler to fit a base plate hole, so there was no galvanizing present, but the two "spot" welds didn't hold very well to the coupler. I'll be redoing it again with a stick welder this time instead of my wire welder. Just a matter of taking the time. Thanks for the input though - I appreciate it!

Back