Making tools from Stainless?

StuNY

Registered
Registered
I have started making my own r8 arbor's for slitting saws etc and for the first couple grabbed a bar of 416 stainless that was the right diameter. They cut very easily, gave me a nice finish and work very well in the mill. Any reason I shouldn't be using stainless for these (other than cost)? I like the idea of not having to worry about rust etc, and they sure are purty! I am not planning to harden them so wonder if I am fine with it or should be using regular carbon steel/tool steel. They are 5-6 inches long and at widest point 1.25" diameter, turned between centers and I am using carbide inserts in toolholder.
Thanks!
Stuart

Thanks for the link Bob! That is an interesting approach to getting it perfect. I made another one last night that had a 7/8 straight shank for a collet and in addition to using a lot less material seems to be running even more true than the R8 versions. Will indicate it tonight to see how close it is and then maybe try cutting the next one in the mill per WreckWreck's technique. Any downside to using the SS?
Stuart

I like 416. It isn't particularly tough but it can be hardened at lower temps than tool steels. Corrosion resistance is not as good as 303 but the tool will be in the shop, not the back yard, so you'll be okay. If the tool is only going to see hobby shop use, I would say go ahead and use it. If the tool starts to wear too easily for your needs, grab a torch and have at it.

i'm of the belief that if you have a material and a purpose, and the material is suitable for the purpose- use the material to full advantage.
if you have stainless available, use it !
there is no foul for using stainless steel for arbors and mandrels, but beware- it can gall.
light lubrication will help prevent galling

Ok guys, will keep using thanks!
Ulma Doctor- where would I see the galling? Do you mean where stainless parts meet stainless parts or where the part meets a steel collet or r8 spindle- locking together?

Ok guys, will keep using thanks!
Ulma Doctor- where would I see the galling? Do you mean where stainless parts meet stainless parts or where the part meets a steel collet or r8 spindle- locking together?
Hi Stu,
anywhere there is a friction or slip fit.
if there is any rotation on the stainless member , it will soon want to gall
stainless to stainless (worst) , or, stainless to carbon steel (less problematical) should be protected.
i would use a small amount of light oil personally, but for the threads anit-sieze would be appropriate too.
just DON'T put the anti-sieze in the R-8 spindle

Last edited:
Back