Making Titanium Wedding Band: What Tools, Attachments Needed?

Skip the drill press. After you turn the outside of the bar, chuck it up off center to drill the hole. Turning the OD while still chucked up off center will make an elliptical shape as well. Here are some tips from a great machinist:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: rwm
Ti band and quick mandrel:
15%2B-%2B1.jpg
Yes, its scratched up!
Robert

I had a wife who hated to spend money on anything,too. It was a big deal buying a $250.00 item,in spite of the fact that she made nearly as much money as I did. I'm not a spend thrift,but it is not a lot of fun when you can't ever buy anything,BELIEVE ME.

We are no longer together,though not because of the money issue,though that would have been a GOOD STARTING POINT!!!!

It isn't about color or things like that, she just abhores anything that involves spending money, particularly when it means more than five-ten dollars.

Not a problem, this was my haul from just one season (fall, winter, spring) walking along a beach with a metal detector, cost $0.00 You are talking thousands of dollars in gold and silver, I'm over $20k in just a few seasons. One diamond ring alone sold for $3,400 Women typically are okay with this hobby, you walk off a few pounds, it generates thousands of dollars, and the women in the family get to pick over the loot before I cash in the rest at the refiner in TX. :D

gold1.jpg

And if you know where to look you can dig up Spanish ship wreck treasure, this is 2 Spanish 8 reales (pieces of 8) from the 1700's before cleaning, these silver coins are a bit larger than a US half dollar.

8reale.jpg

I made myself a titanium ring on my Sherline lathe. Unmodified. It's a tough metal, but in my limited experience, I'd say it turns a lot like stainless steel - not the "free machining" 303/304 type, but the stuff lots of people hate.

I got a titanium bar (3Al-2.5V? don't recall) 1" OD, cut off about an inch, bored out the ring diameter using one of those online ring size to decimal equivalent charts and then turned the outside smooth. Then, just for appearances, I CNC milled a couple of sine waves on it. Pretty standard Sherline mill and rotary table. Once that was done, I parted it off the bar.

On a Sherline? Sure. When I got my stuff, Dan Statman from Statman designs was on the Sherline Yahoo groups and was using Sherlines exclusively.

Other than using carbide tooling, I'd say nothing to it. Only problem is I packed on too much weight and now my finger is too fat to wear it!

Bob

Not a problem, this was my haul from just one season (fall, winter, spring) walking along a beach with a metal detector, cost $0.00 You are talking thousands of dollars in gold and silver, I'm over $20k in just a few seasons. One diamond ring alone sold for $3,400 Women typically are okay with this hobby, you walk off a few pounds, it generates thousands of dollars, and the women in the family get to pick over the loot before I cash in the rest at the refiner in TX. :D

gold1.jpg

And if you know where to look you can dig up Spanish ship wreck treasure, this is 2 Spanish 8 reales (pieces of 8) from the 1700's before cleaning, these silver coins are a bit larger than a US half dollar.

8reale.jpg

You know, for some odd reason, a metal detector shop has been emailing me an ad two or three times a week. I'm kind of interested, but haven't taken the plunge.

Thanks to this, I could really see playing with these! If only I had the time.

Bob

You know, for some odd reason, a metal detector shop has been emailing me an ad two or three times a week. I'm kind of interested, but haven't taken the plunge.

Thanks to this, I could really see playing with these! If only I had the time.

Bob

Talk to me first before you purchase a detector. Like machining its about having the right tool for the job and some knowledge, there are plenty of detectors not worth owning, most of them in fact. The best machine is no longer manufactured, but you can pick one up on ebay used. They manufacture a newer model but the engineers screwed it up, one of those if it aint broke don't fix it situations.

PS: South Beach is literally a gold mine. I know teachers who detect SB as their summer job.

Very fashionable these days, Ti wedding rings.

Just be aware that many hospitals nowadays have to have very special custom cutters for removing titanium rings which have become stuck on a finger and are causing gangrene etc. Could be a problem if you make the ring just slightly too small. Ti rings canNOT be stretched.

Low RPM, serious cutting, do NOT allow any rubbing as the Ti will work-harden. Carbide is advised but not absolutely essential if you know what you are doing. Can give a wonderful finish.

Cheers
Roger

Back