Making smooth fitting threads

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
How do you make "silky smooth threads"? That is, threads that have a good fit and finish and operate very smoothly?

Here are some suggestions I have found:

Give the toolbit positive rake on the forming flank and hone the forming edge and the flat on the tip very smooth before use.
You need to keep the edge horizontal and on center, so add no back rake, but the top rake is important to keep the tool cutting freely. Imagine you've got a roll of toilet paper with the loose end coming over the top of the roll. Put an imaginary wedge under the loose end, and watch how the toilet paper flows over the wedge as you unroll it. That's exactly what you want the chip to do on the forming flank of the toolbit. (the forming flank is the leading one...it's the flank closest to the headstock when you're cutting a right hand external thread and it's called the forming flank because it uses its whole width to "form" the face it's cutting. The other flank is the generated flank because it's "generated" by successive small movements of the compound slide). Putting rake on the cutter this way, destroys the ability of the trailing flank to cut, so you MUST set over the compound slide to 30 degrees (NOT 29 1/2 degrees) from the cross slide axis, and advance the compound for each increment of cut. The trailing flank never cuts this way...the whole chip is created by the leading flank, just like the toilet paper flowing off the roll. Add a little Rapidtap, keep your DOC modest, and you will cut perfect, smooth dead nuts accurate threads with no tearing and no burs. A word of caution is that you do have to be careful in grinding weird rake angles on HSS (or carbide) threading tools. Too much rake can result in a bad thread form.

$(KGrHqV,!lsE2FhnsMtLBNmRp-SEvg~~0_12.jpg nozzle part 1.jpg

Attachments

• nozzle%20part%202.jpg
    nozzle%20part%202.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 129
Last edited by a moderator:
That is a small thread! I thought I had made a small thread when making an adapter for camera stuff at .75 mm pitch. My problem was getting a smooth finish on the alum.

Mumbles you hit on everything that I have had to do or had happen to me on my Atlas lathe.

I am thinking that a future purchase is likely a NEW lathe. Not a used abused lathe. I just do not know which way to jump but currently the Precision Matthews PM1127VF or its like is on my short list.

Back