Making Bushings...

yeah, I bet that was time consuming to do 26 out of tool steel...
I had no clue what you were talking about on the tail-stock turret, so I looked it up. Yeah, that'd be awesome! Especially for making these... I spent half my time changing out bits.

Is this the book you were referring to?
http://www.amazon.com/How-To-Run-Lathe-Beginner/dp/1603864679

It'd definitely be better than piecing together a bunch of you tube videos, lol.

I have taken apart a drill chuck more than once. And have studied its operandi. IMHO tightening all three positions will do little or nothing to improve the chuck jaws grip. This is however, only if the chuck is of good quality and working properly. On a side note, if you are tightening a 3 jaw lathe chuck and it has more than one wrench hole. Improvements in concentricity could be noticed if you repeatedly use the same chuck key hole and no other…Good Luck

Most chuck manufacturers will put some kind of marking (may only be a centrepunch dot) to indicate the "master" hole used for tightening when the chuck's manufactured and the jaws ground, WHEN NEW that one gives the best accuracy...

Dave H. (the other one)

yeah, I bet that was time consuming to do 26 out of tool steel...
I had no clue what you were talking about on the tail-stock turret, so I looked it up. Yeah, that'd be awesome! Especially for making these... I spent half my time changing out bits.

Is this the book you were referring to?
http://www.amazon.com/How-To-Run-Lathe-Beginner/dp/1603864679

It'd definitely be better than piecing together a bunch of you tube videos, lol.

The book you want is "How to run a Lathe" by South Bend Lathe. STILL the definitive manual for learning how to urn one.

I had plenty of chucks. I was swapping chucks until I realized I'd finally gotten to the point where I realized that, yes, I do need more production-oriented machinery. For the better part of 30 years I'd told myself I only make one or two widgets, why go CNC or even semi-automated. Well, I have come to that point in my life, skill level and career that I now need that type of machinery.

No sooner did I receive my tailstock turret than I walked into a customer's shop to see a Browne & Sharpe turret lather they had just gotten! When told of their intentions for the machine, I failed at my attempts to not embarrass or insult the owner by telling him he'd bought the wrong machine and sold the best one for what he was doing. I think I rescued myself by teaching him how to run it as he had no clue as to how to run a turret lathe. I'm sure it will eventually end up in my shop.

I'm a relative newb, too (only had my lathe for about 5 years), and I had to make a precision bushing for the first time just a week ago. It was for supporting a pulley with an oversize hole on an alternator with an undersized shaft. Considering that the alternator will be spinning at up to 15,000 RPM, I figured that the whole thing needed to be pretty precise if the pulley was to turn true. I cheated, a little - I started off with a nice piece of DOM tubing, although it was well undersized inside inside & oversize outside, but at least it already had a hole...

In the past, I've generally just used drill bits, chucked in a Jacobs chuck. This time, however, I decided to use the "El Cheapo" brand boring tool set that I bought cheap (under $40 for the 12 piece set), years ago. As it happens, the boring tool holder that came with my "El Cheapo" QCTP set wouldn't hold any of the boring tools (hole in the tool holder was waaay too big), I rigged it up in one of the regular (rectangular) tool holders, using a shim to hold it more or less centered in the holder, and cinched it down. I used some spray-can cutting oil, and went to town on it. Surprisingly (to me, anyway), it went perfectly. I went slowly as I got close to final measurement, finishing off the inside with a piece of 600-grit paper wrapped around a small drill bit. When I was done, it measured out to within .0005", both inside and outside, and was a perfect fit. Interestingly, as the alternator itself needed work (new diodes) I took it to a rebuilding shop, with the new bushing & pulley installed. The tech who looked at it initially was so impressed with the bushing, he called in the rest of the staff to see it! I didn't think it was anything to get excited about, but they sure thought it was cool. It IS nice to be appreciated!

My point is that even a set of cheap boring tools (they look like the ones in Makerofthings' post, above, 2nd photo) can be very useful. I do have an odd selection of reamers as well (sourced off Ebay, no rhyme or reason to the sizes), and use them often, but with my latest experience with the boring tools, I'm going to be using them a LOT more often from now on.

Back