Making Biax Blades

bkcorwin

Active User
Registered
Recently got a biax with no blades. I was wondering if everyone does the brazed carbide route, or if anyone has made a blade that takes the standard sandvik blades that bolt on to their hand scrapers?

I made my own blades out of O1 steel with 1/2 of a sandvik blade silver soldered on.blade.JPG

are you hardening the blade? Or is there actually any compelling reason to use tool steel over say cold roll?

I like the way the blade scrapes using the O1 it starts out as 5/32 thick (proper thickness for the blade holder) Then I mill it down to the thickness of a sandvik insert with a overall length of 6". I use 1250 degree silver solder paste to solder the insert on then allow to air cool. It produces a nice flexible blade without being brittle or too soft. I have made these blades for a few others they like them too. Bob

Mine is made from cold rolled from home depot- works fine.
it was easy to machine the blade pocket.
i used 1/8" Harris LFB (low fume bronze) coated brazing rod and the oxy/acetylene rig

Oh you guys and your Biax's ... :grin: (sez me -> who is trying to keep from catching the scrapping bug.)

Back