Making a division head

Galileu

Registered
Registered
Making a diviing head

Hi,

I have this old manual drill and I am thinking of making a division head for my drill press using its mechanism; if driven by the spindle it will give me a reduction ratio of 4:1
IMG_0081.jpg
I thought I could machine the handwheel to mate with a backing plate for the mini lathe chucks; there will be a little backlash and I am trying to think of a means of minimizing it.
Before I start chipping away I wil try to make a 3D model and I'll post it here; all suggestions are welcome.

José

IMG_0081.jpg

Last edited:
Jose, it seems to me that, if you make the small gear adjustable on its axis, you can dial out much of the backlash. Would it work to set it up with a motor to drive it and scoop on some lapping slurry and run it for a while to lap the gear surfaces smooth - maybe with a spring pushing the small gear into the larger one for the process?

Just a thought...

Those are good ideas Mike. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to unmount the gear from the spindle; it looks like it is a press fit and it will need some tools I don't have at home; I'll try to get some help.

José

Back