Making a bevel pinion gear

nicky

Active User
Registered
Hi guys
I am in the process of restoring a very rare 1908-10 International Harvester Bluebell cream separator. This machine had likely been sitting on some ones lawn for 50 years as a lawn ornament. No need to tell you what shape it was in, seized solid! It took about 20 years of soaking it and finally with the help of my welding torch I was able to get some movement in the crank. I played with it for about a week and finally got it apart.

bluebell098.jpg

In the picture you see a small dome above the crank. In there is a large bevel crown gear attached to the crank shaft and a small 1 3/8" bevel pinion that drives a shaft going to the gear box in the bottom. That dome is a loose cover over those gears and it stood full of water for most of it's outdoor life. The result was that all the teeth on the pinion had rusted off except for the one engaged in the crown gear along with a half tooth on each side of it. The crown gear was cast and the pinion was steel. So I went on a quest to find a pinion or some one to make me one. I did contact Mike but he informed that he was not set up to be able to make one. Boson Gears could not match it either. So my good wife told me that I would just have to make one myself. Went to Machinery Hand Book and studied what it had to say. Years ago Home Shop Machinist also did a series on gear cutting. All of that information looked pretty daunting.
All I had to work with was my little Homier mill drill with the fine feed I built on it, a spin index, and an involute gear cutter that I was given when I bought my lathe. I Knew I could not make all the measurements that were required to cut a bevel gear but set out to give it a whirl with what I had anyway. First thing was to make an arbor for the cutter with a No 2 taper. I had bought several blank draw bar arbors from Busy Bee years ago. The taper was finished but the end was blank so proceeded to turn the end down to a shoulder about 1/8" wide where the taper started and about 7/8" diameter. I inserted the arbor into a sleeve in the headstock of my 9" SB. Then I turned a collar to fit over it with an interference fit. The cutter I had needed a 1" shaft and the end of the arbor was 1" so needed something to hold the cutter against. I heated the collar with the torch and dropped it over the shaft. Once cooled down I machined a step on it to hold the cutter. Then I machined a cup that was a close fit over the 7/8" stub and drilled it 9/16". Then I drilled the end of the stub for a 9/16" fine thread and tapped it. I was going for 1/2' but grabbed the wrong drill bit so now we have 9/16" NF in it. I chose NF because it is easier to get a good tight pressure to hold the cutter.

cutter setup.JPG cutter.arbor.JPG

Next we went back to the lathe grabbed a piece of scrap shaft about 1 1/2" diameter. Turned a portion down to 7/8" diameter and then turned it end for end and finished the remaining stub to 1 3/8" The diameter I concluded the gear must have been from measuring from the top of the good tooth to the shaft and the doubling that. I had no protractor to measure the angle of the pinion to the shaft so just held the shaft with the bad gear on it against my tool post which I had squared as accurate as you can by eye to the compound. Loosened the compound and turned it until it looked right with the eye. I proceeded to cut the taper with the compound. When I got about 1/2 done I held the shaft with the one good tooth against my taper and sited down to the bed ways. I made some miner adjustment until it looked right to me and finished the taper.

gear blank.JPG

Next how to set it up in the mill? Years ago I had drilled two holes in the base of the spin index so I could hold it on my lathe table. I set the Y axis back as far as it could travel, Eyeball the alignment and height and proceeded to make a cut. That went surprisingly smooth so proceeded to cut the rest of the teeth. Since there were 12 teeth on this gear it was rather easy to divide. As luck would have it the cutter I had matched the tooth profile at the small end of the gear. I missed one space on the index and ruined one tooth but finished cutting them all to test it on the crown. It was close but the cut was too deep and the same depth front to back. Almost worked with some filing buy not good enough.
So since my Y travel was to the end I had elongate my holes in the base of the index to give me more room to play with. I turned it upside down in my mill vise and used the mill to do that. That is what happened to fancy paint job.

setup.JPG

Now we had plenty of adjustment. Made a new blank on a 7/8" stem and cut the second blank. Mounted it in the mill and repeated the first operation. The first cut went in about 3 passes but went a bit too deep so backed it off a bit for the rest of the cuts. I also eye balled the angle a bit so that the small end would be shallower than the large end. The end result looked pretty good so filed the teeth some as we had a shoulder on the large end on the side at the top of the tooth. When satisfied that the fit on the crown seemed good we went back to the lathe and turned the 7/8" shaft to 5/8", the size of the original shaft and bushing where it had to ride in and cut of the bit that was held in the chuck.
Dropped it into the bushing, slipped the crown gear into place, slipped the crank shaft in and locked the crown gear to the shaft. Gave the crank a turned. Felt a few tight spots but after several turns it was running smoothly. Not what I would call a gear suitable for high speed or a lot of pressure but it sure beats 1 tooth and two halves. So here is our finished gear. Not bad for a first time gear cut. Nick

gear.JPG

gear blank.JPG gear.JPG cutter setup.JPG bluebell098.jpg setup.JPG cutter.arbor.JPG

Last edited:
You'd have to be happy with that, if my first attempt at gear making is anything like that I'll be very happy.:cool:

Very good Nicky,
Now is there any more pics of the rebuild, or is that the progress so far?

Cheers Phil

Nick
Looks like you have done a fine job here. You probably thought you needed to send it out to have one made, but you where determined to do this job, and I must say it looks great. And thats your first go at gear cutting, Nick, you done good! Very impressive for the first gear.

I wouldnt mind seeing more pics of your project, if you have any? Keep up the good work.

Paul

The good wife was right , eh Nick ;)

For a first try you made a nice gear Nick, I hope mine looks that good. And some pictures of the project would be nice.

Paul

More pictures

Hi guys.
Here are some more pictures and information. To give you an idea what I had to work with.
You can really see how rusty everything was including the bowl, (the piece with the stem on it) The bowl cover was solid brass so no problem. The supply tank needs a new bottom as is obvious.

base.JPG colm.JPG bowl.JPG tank2.JPG

old.spt.JPG

After the complete disassemble the first thing we did was strip down the main gear box in the base. We soaked every part in Evapo-Rust and then lubricated and reassembled that part.
The shaft in the first picture is the one with the new gear on it at the top. The other shaft spins the bowl.

tp.gr.bx.JPG gr.bx1.JPG

This is the old gear that I had for pattern and the new beside it. You can see that I cut the first slot too deep but it has not affected the operation.

gears.JPG on.shaft.JPG

The next pictures show the new gear mounted on the shaft with the tapered bushing below it. The bushing sits in a tapered bore in the top of the casting.

gr.in.plce.JPG

This shows the gear in the housing. The next pictures show the gears assembled on the crank shaft. Note the nice mesh and the how badly rusted the crankshaft was

.mesh2.JPG mesh3.JPG

The next picture is of a set of spouts, unknown brand that will fit but the cover needs to be modified.

nw.spts.JPG

This next picture is of the arbor I made for the gear cutter.

cutter.arbor.JPG

That's it for now. I am working on this between working on my 56 Studebaker. You need a break from the intensity of one project once in a while. So this week was that break.
Nick

base.JPG bowl.JPG colm.JPG cutter.arbor.JPG gears.JPG gr.bx1.JPG gr.in.plce.JPG mesh2.JPG mesh3.JPG nw.spts.JPG old.spt.JPG on.shaft.JPG tank2.JPG tp.gr.bx.JPG

Our Dairy display

Hi guys.
We have been collecting and restoring IH (McCormick Deering) dairy items for about 25 years or so. IH started making cream separators in !908. and milkers in 1927. From 1908 to 1915 they built the Dairy Maid and Bluebell separators with some modifications for 1911. The Dairy Maid was chain drive and their economy version while the Bluebell was the gear drive deluxe version. The next series were the Primrose and Lilly separators. The Lilly being the economy and the Primrose the deluxe version. After that came the McCormick Deering Ball Bearing and subsequent McCormick models of various sizes and eventually the self cleaning units into the early 50s.
The Dairy Maid and Bluebell in our collection are both the early models.
In the photos you will see some of our dairy display in front of our vending booth at one of the steam shows we attend every year.
To the right you see a Primrose in original nice condition. To the left is a 1927 milker on a cart with a 1926 gas engine. The milker was in nice condition and just needed to be freshed up but the engine had been laying in a water trough under a windmill for about 50 years. It took a lot of work to get that rascal freed up and apart. I completely overhauled it with new rings etc. I finished like you would a car, puttied and all to a mirror finish. They never built them that fine. I built the cart from illustrations in the parts book as well as the V belt engine pulley attached to the standard flat belt pulley supplied with the engine. Again from specs in the parts book. To the far left is the Dairy Maid as well as in the separate photo.
That machine was much worse than the Bluebell was. One leg was missing, one was broken and the two cast gear covers were missing. I borrowed those from a Dairy Museum to use as patterns and had them cast as well as two legs with my other pair as patterns. The chain and sprockets were a skip tooth variety and it was one clump of rust but patience and soaking and tapping eventually got it loose. This was before we had Evapo-Rust. Behind that separator is a reproduction of the 1908 advertising brochure. The original one is in my collection. I also reproduced all the decals and pin striping on that machine.
In the background you see my homemade camper from a small school bus.
We have about 7 MD separators in our collection so far as well as other MD dairy related items.
The only model I would really love to find would be the Lilly.
Hope you enjoyed this.
Nick

esex2.jpg

dairymaid.jpg dairymaid.jpg

Close-up of Dairy Maid at show and just after we finished it.

esex2.jpg dairymaid.jpg dairymaid.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work Nicky.
I think I might have given that up as a lost cause, looking at the initial level of corrossion.

Cheers Phil

Thanks Phil. I probably would have if it wasn't so rare. The Dairymaid was in even worse shape than the Bluebell when I got it. I have always loved a challenge. So I was determined to make this work too. I used to specialize in carburetors as a mechanic and electrical automotive and my reputation was that if they tried every body else than take it to Nick. Or if a wiring harness was burned out and a new one not available take it Nick.
I have restored a lot of farm tools and implements over the years.
Nick

Back