make your own toolbit gauge

bedwards

Active User
Registered
I saw this a long time ago and saved it to try to make later. I chose aluminum to make it from since I was in a hurry (had company coming) and it was the first thing I found big enough for the project.
I chose a slitting blade for the work. I cut the pattern from a laminated print that I have uploaded in the Downloads section (http://www.hobby-machinist.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=671) under plans and hand transferred it to the aluminum.

IMAG0001.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the cut out next to the work. I used a bandsaw to rough cut the Vs out and finished them down with a file.

IMAG0005.JPG

Last edited:
I smoothed the edges and polished the faces and in the last pic etched the names of the angles on the face. It was a quick easy project even for me.

IMAG0008.JPG IMAG0011.JPG

Last edited:
Usefull tool, and I like those curved hold down clamps you have too ;)

Usefull tool, and I like those curved hold down clamps you have too ;)

Thanks, that idea (for the clamps) came from the web. Its thick walled black pipe waste that came from a building at work. I turned the outside smooth and then bored it inside just enough to clean the rust out. I cut rings out the width I needed and then cut them in half with the band saw. I slotted them with a end mill. I made 6 of them but really messed the first one up.
The clamps hold really well. You would be surprised how tight you can crank them in.

Bryan

Yup,,curves are good, arnt they Bill? ;)

Bryan
Thats a good tip on how you made them. I think Im just going to make up a set of them curvy little hold down clamps. Concidering I do like curvy things. :)

Back