Make small things --with big lathe

smallfly

Active User
Registered
we have a le-blond lathe 19 x 54 inch and want to work on small objects. My ''one and only'' live center for the tailstock is from ''phase 2 and has always worked ok. but it is too large . soooo i disassembled the live center and made a new arbor which has a 5/8 inch i.d. and locking set screw and will accept and interchange any centers which i choose to make. this is a real ez thing to make and i thought others mite like to see pics of project

LC 1.JPG LC  2.JPG LC 3.JPG LC 4.JPG LC 5.JPG LC 6.JPG LC7.JPG LC 8.JPG LC9.JPG LC 10.JPG

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I have always suspected that something like this could be done but never knew how or seen it before. Thanks for sharing, gives me some great ideas that I would like to try.

Smallfly,

Actually, those are commercially available, but uncommon. I have a set for my Atlas 12x36 (on 2MT of course) with the smallest center adapter about 3/8" diameter. About what you would want if you had a 2x10 lathe. But I never thought about the possibility of making one myself. Neat job.

Robert D.

if u look at the pic's i posted u will see the original arbor --plan ''A'' was to drill a hole in center of this orig. arbor. wow that steel is more than just hardened on the surface it cannot be drilled. soooo i made a new arbor from 1215 steel . had never used 1215 before---machines real well . i would say almost as well as 12L14 --and was a freebeee from prior steel order i received from ''OAKLAND STEEL'' --good people to deal with and they want to work with hobbyists.they did not have the round bar i wanted in the larger diameters of 12L14 soooo they sent some 1215 to try for free. they will use those usps mailers instead of ups and will save u $$$. i recd. 33 lbs. steel for $$11.00. shipping costs wow. can't beat that. hope this helps. re steve in mt.

Back