[How do I?] Make A Rear Tool Post.

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi,

I'm specifically looking for tips on making a rear tool post for my Liang Die 1216 lathe. the cross slide has a flat top, no T slots. The cross slide is 4" below the chuck centre line.

Last edited:
I'll bump this back to the front page for you, Bob.

Would you be willing to drill and tap a few holes in the cross slide? If so, maybe a pallet with a ledge to register on the chuck-ward edge of the cross slide and countersunk cap screws that thread into those tapped holes would work. You can then install a post into the pallet to lock down whatever tool holders you need. I'm making one just like this to fit a rear mounted parting tool holder, a knurling tool holder and possibly a graver tool rest to it. Each of the tool holders will register on the edge of the pallet so it will automatically square up perpendicular to the spindle axis. Just a thought.

I'll bump this back to the front page for you, Bob.

Would you be willing to drill and tap a few holes in the cross slide? If so, maybe a pallet with a ledge to register on the chuck-ward edge of the cross slide and countersunk cap screws that thread into those tapped holes would work. You can then install a post into the pallet to lock down whatever tool holders you need. I'm making one just like this to fit a rear mounted parting tool holder, a knurling tool holder and possibly a graver tool rest to it. Each of the tool holders will register on the edge of the pallet so it will automatically square up perpendicular to the spindle axis. Just a thought.

Thanks Mike,

I had been thinking along these lines, and have considered making it register on both the chuck side and the back edge, so it will always be square to everything, and then set it up to take both a regular square tool post and a quick release one thus covering all bases.

I also intend to make a vertical spindle milling attachment driven from the lathes gearbox, so want to incorporate the design with a method of holding work on the cross slide. I'm thinking of a plate say 1/2 inch bolted to the cross slide with a series of tapped holes all over it, should work. Making it thicker with "T" slots would lose too much height, and be too complicated. I know everyone says just buy a milling machine, but I just don't have the room, and nowhere to expand. Even my baby 5" band saw has to live outside under cover, but still outside.

A tooling plate would work great as long as it registered the edge of the cross slide. You could fit a riser for a QCTP in the normal position and a removable one in the rear for more tools. The tapped holes would allow you to bolt on that milling attachment or other things to be milled. Good idea!

In the past I have had lathes with rear tool posts , but those lathes were designed for it . Assuming you are not going to be reversing the spindle when you use the rear post you need to be aware that you would be lifting the saddle . My favorite set up was to run the cut off tool in the rear post .

Rear toolposts can also be used to time two or more tools like a turning tool and a chamfer tool.
jimsehr

In the past I have had lathes with rear tool posts , but those lathes were designed for it . Assuming you are not going to be reversing the spindle when you use the rear post you need to be aware that you would be lifting the saddle . My favorite set up was to run the cut off tool in the rear post .

Yes I'll have to keep an eye on it, most likely only using it for parting off, will generally be small diameters, so any tendency to lift will be near the center of the saddle. The saddle is pretty solid and heavy this is not a toy lathe, it weighs 3ookg. The only thing small about it is the bed length, I had to get the shortest they make, only 600mm between centers, because the next size up will not fit in my garage. And no I don't intend to run in reverse, although I could and invert parting tool on front tool post but that will still have a tendency to lift saddle. I'll put a clock on it and see what happens when I try it, won't be for a while yet. I'm not getting much workshop time at the moment, spending most of my time attending the rehab center, my wife had a stroke a few weeks ago, she is making good progress and we are expecting her home by about mid January, so should get a bit of workshop time in then.

Back