[How-To] Make a power drawbar for a Bridgeport M head

TechyMechy

Registered
Registered
I have a Hardinge TM milling machine and I have a new to me Bridgeport M head on it. I really like the combination, but it is a bit clumsy to insert/ remove the tooling from the collet when trying to tighten the drawbar/keep the spindle from spinning.

I am thinking that a power drawbar might be something fun to make. Has anyone made a power draw bar that allow one to one handed tighten/loosen the collet while holding the tooling in the other hand (not allowing it to drop)?

I can get air to the machine, but I prefer that this is electrical powered. I have some ideas, but they start to look a little Frankenstein'ish pretty fast and it is questionable if they are actually easier than the original method.

Thanks for your ideas.

I purchased an air based unit from ebay. It works well for me. The simpler designs should be able to be run from an electric impact if you prefer. I suggest looking at those for ideas and adapt as desired.

I really like mine. It makes it much faster to swap tools. Pull it down, then to the side and the impact takes care of the rest.

Thanks,

I haven't seen how one of these work. I don't see any mechanism on the air units being sold on eBay to lock the spindle.

I am assuming that one needs to lock the spindle so it does not turn when trying to tighten/untighten the draw bar. I don't have a brake on my M head but I have a large nut on the top spindle stepped pully. One uses a wrench on the stepped pulley and another wrench on the drawbar to tighten the collet.

I'm looking for a clever way to grab the large nut and also drive the draw bar. I'm also looking to see if someone took the guts out of a HF electrical impact wrench or something for the power source...

The air device is a butterfly impact. Nothing fancy. The interface to the draw bar is just a socket. You pull the impact down which generally gets the socket to mate up. Then push the handle to turn it on.

No need to use a brake. The impact action makes it unnecessary. Same with hitting the top to release the collet from the taper. Most of the time anyway. I have them stick sometimes, but usually just tighten and loosen again and it pops out. Don't overthink it. :)

The air device is a butterfly impact. Nothing fancy. The interface to the draw bar is just a socket. You pull the impact down which generally gets the socket to mate up. Then push the handle to turn it on.
Ee
No need to use a brake. The impact action makes it unnecessary. Same with hitting the top to release the collet from the taper. Most of the time anyway. I have them stick sometimes, but usually just tighten and loosen again and it pops out. Don't overthink it. :)
Thanks for the explanation.

I can see why you like the eBay devices. One can’t hardly make one for the same money. The spline shaft sticks up a fair distance above the aluminum pulley cover on the M head. I have to double check to see if the eBay unit will fit. I could use an air driver- I just need to get air to the mill.

Here's mine no need to use a brake to add or remove collets

Thanks all for the information. I'm going to have to make my power drawbar. I really don't see a power drawbar being sold that would work with a M head without significant modification (so why not make your own?).

Do people have recommendations on where to get the butterfly air wrench? I found on on Amazon that looks good, but I am wondering what others have used.

Back