Major Project

The Landshark

Active User
Registered
I dont know if i'm insane tackling this,
it's mostly 1963 super major but theres a fair smattering of power major parts on it,
it was put here in 1980 due to not having reverse and a damaged injector pump,
something tells me its not that bad under all the rust.
Something to do after the winter, theres a mini pickup, a vw beetle, a honda cb200 and a gpz 1100 kawasaki already in the workshop,
i definetly wont let the scrap man have it though
013.jpg

It seems a good project!
As a start you can begin with a tarpaulin over it, to avoid further rain while waiting for a place in your shop…

Not a tractor person (I actually avoid them like the plague because as soon as I know how to use one I'm going to be put to work lol) but good for you for saving some steel from the scrapper. Good luck on the project!

It seems a good project!
As a start you can begin with a tarpaulin over it, to avoid further rain while waiting for a place in your shop…

Ill haul it out of where it is over the weekend, ill find room in the shed somewhere to get it into the dry, cut off the old bits and make a list, it'll either get repaired or donated for spares.

Not a tractor person (I actually avoid them like the plague because as soon as I know how to use one I'm going to be put to work lol) but good for you for saving some steel from the scrapper. Good luck on the project!

its too good to scrap imo, someone put a jamjar over the exhaust to keep the rain out, the engine turns over when the injector pump is removed, its seized solid and full of water,
its a common fault with the old simms inline injector pumps, the oil is supposed to be changed when the engine oil is being done, it wasn't, and the oil gets diluted with diesel until it doesnt lubricate properly and if your lucky the pump seizes. If your unlucky the governor weights jam in the full throttle position until the engine lets go.

Yes that looks like a major project. How long do you think it will take to restore

Yes that looks like a major project. How long do you think it will take to restore

Thats the million dollar question, it comes down to the old time vs money equation, more money equals less time, and at the moment i have precious little of both to spare.
first job is to get the engine running, i got a second broken injector pump given to me so if i can make one out of the two it will speed things up, a new one is close to €750.
it needs a new radiator, all tinwork, steering box is seized, starter and dynamo are shot, i took off the gearbox inspection cover and the reverse idler is stripped although the other gears look ok and the brakes are stuck,
on the plus side the radiator burst which drained the block so no frost damage, the engine turns by hand and theres some kind of oil in there, i have a set of tyres and rims for the back of one of these and the fronts are still holding air. i'll post more when i get to it but the lathe is my first priority at the moment,
i did get it inside so that should stop further deterioration from the weather.
Thankfully these were very plentiful here back in the day so a lot of parts are still available.

Back