Magnetic swarf remover

Philco

Active User
Registered
I saw some of these magnetic swarf removers on the net somewhere & not only were they overpriced they looked simple enough to make. The large one is a piece of 3/4 copper water pipe with cap soldered on the end. The magnet is a neodymium from K&j magnets and the plastic rod came from Fastenall. The outer ring is a piece of plastic, bored for a press fit onto the outer diameter of the pipe. I fastened the magnet to the plastic rod with a drywall screw.
The smaller one is a piece of 1/2 copper pipe. The small one fits the T-slots on the mill. They work great!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Just slide the plastic rod back to release the swarf into the garbage. Cool. That's next on the todo list. :))

Or you can cover the rod with a newspaper bag and then pull back the inner rod and dump the swarf into a bag to keep it all together and in the trash or recycle bin. You will be amazed at how much weight you end up with pretty quick, so give a though to recycling it if you havent already. I love a cheaper effective home made tool over a store bought anytime. It's just more fun all the way around.
Bob

I made one of these from PVC but the copper looks so much better. I think I have to redo mine. Very nice project.

Jeff

Great job Phil.

The one I have was made by and given to me by Charley. I like your design better, sorry Charley. I like the one that fits into the mill slots. I will copy it first. Do you recall the magnet "pull/lift" specification?

Benny

Nice Job! saves you, always want to grab that stuff with your fingers....

Great job Phil.

The one I have was made by and given to me by Charley. I like your design better, sorry Charley. I like the one that fits into the mill slots. I will copy it first. Do you recall the magnet "pull/lift" specification?

Benny

Benny I don't know the specs. The large magnet is 3/4 od x 3/4 long if this helps. Phil.

They may already make one, but using a thin walled plastic or copper tube as a "condom" over a strong magnet ramrod would allow you to grab the material and release it all cleanly and Quickly. Kind of like a pump action.

If they already make one like this, forgive me, I'm kind of new.

But nice work!!

Please ingore my ignorance, that it what you were doing the whole time.

Duuuuh!:*****slap2:

Very sweet stuff!

Back