Made a cube in a 1 inch ball

Mark

Do you think your students could make this on a manual lathe? A 3/8 ball in a 5/8 ball in a 7/8 ball in a 1 inch cube all parts freefloating.

I have made a part similar to your dice in a shop class on a cnc machine. It had a different shape for each face of the cube. So you had to program each face . Like you
said it is easier then it looks. You make the part in a mill vice and after you do five sides , on the last side you pinch the center part in the vice by using a piece of shim
so part is supported while cutting .

I also think if you can hold a diameter and a depth on a lathe it is easy to make a make a cube in a cube. It is Quite a bit harder to make a ball in a cube or a ball in a ball.
How would you make your dice if the outside was round? How would you hold it?
jimsehr

I don't think I have anyone at this point in time that could do a ball in a cube, none of my students are up to that skill level yet.

As for holding round parts I usually have them make soft jaws for the mill vices. That reduces the risk of flattening the sides.

I think you guys have to come help me grind my concrete floors for sealant. You have way too much time on your hands. Free food, adult inebriate's, and tall tales around the fire. Nice work by the way. Cheers, Mike

Markso125
I’ve made some, kind of like those when I was taking a class and I had to write the program for each different face.
Jimsehr

I make these for gifts
b11e0b51c8ffaed1d4fd084be8d38097.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

These are what I have been having my students make. I pass them out to school/state administrators and business representatives when they take tours of our facility. Its a cool easy project and they are awesome PR when students are looking for jobs in the area

View attachment 229891
I would love to make one of those!

Back