Machinist Level???

AR. Hillbilly

Registered
Registered
My lathe is finished and working to my satisfaction. I will now clean and paint the cabinet and move it to its permanent spot. When that happens I'll need a machinist level. I've got sticker shock from what I've looked at. I've looked on ebay and seen some good deals but I have no way of knowing if they're any good. I've never laid eyes on a real machinist level. I don't know how big or what to look for. My lathe is a Sheldon 10 x 36. any direction would help. I don't mind spending some money on quality tools but it bothers me a bit if it's something I'll only use once or twice a year.

really isn't anything special other than in years past they were considered more accurate...todays levels are just as good for the most part...i use my iphone level

You don't need a level to setup your lathe. Chuck up a bar of metal in the chuck and take a cut. The larger the bar the better, whatever can fit in your lathe and you can get your hands on. Do not use the tailstock for the first test cut.

Take a cut and measure the diameter at both ends with a micrometer;

If the bar gets smaller towards the headstock - add shims to the lathe foot on the tailstock end facing the operator.

If the bar gets larger towards the headstock - add shims to the lathe foot on the tailstock end away from the operator (usually facing the wall)

Here is a sketch:

BXv1hPr.png

BXv1hPr.png

BXv1hPr.png

BXv1hPr.png

BXv1hPr.png

Just keep in mind that the lathe may not perform properly even if it is dead level with the most expensive, "best" level you could possible get. It's all about turning and facing straight and square.

And remember.....do they use levels aboard ships to set up machines?

I wouldn't want to be under attack and have to make parts on rough seas, but they did it because it was necessary. And they didn't mess around tweaking the machines to a gnats behind between battles either, I'd bet. They had a job to do and had to be ready at all times.

I couldn't justify buying a machinists level just to install my lathe. Using a regular level is good enough to get the lathe close to level for best oil flow to bearings and drain.
Turning tests as mentioned above, to make sure there is no twist in the ways, are more important than getting the lathe dead nuts level.

I just used the level I have and it worked out fine..

Back