Machining Shallow V Slots...?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'd like to make aluminum soft jaws for my 5" wilton vise.
How can I cut those v shaped slots for gripping round work?
one vertical and one horizontal. 3/16" wide.
Thanks

A V-shape carbide router bit is what I would use. Preferably with a 1/2 inch shank, but 1/4 inch shank would work if you don't get too greedy with the cut.

They also make drill and mill endmills with different degree points, very handy, Enco and MSC both carry them as well as others I am sure. I believe the manufacturer is Melin.

michael

Thank you all. So far the 60° carbide router is the least expensive way to go. and 60 degrees is probably better than 90
for holding round work. I'll try the the end mill on some scrap.

I understand that the mill head can be tilted 45° and flip the part for the other side of the V, but besides a sine plate, can a
tilting vise work e.g. Palmgren tilt vise? Are they accurate enough? Maybe I'll buy a used sine plate. It will come in handy for other jobs.
I'd like to make some wedges a la Jacobs style drill chuck arbor removal wedges.

A V-shape carbide router bit is what I would use. Preferably with a 1/2 inch shank, but 1/4 inch shank would work if you don't get too greedy with the cut.
that is the way I did it with a Router V carbide bit worked out nice.

Which V carbide bit did you use? Is it a metal working bit? Do you have a link or brand/model number?

You are making soft jaw inserts. They will distort in that "V" fairly easily. If it were me doing this I would forgo the "V" and just use parallels to set round stock in the vise.

"Billy G"

Back